Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Virgil , the nightwatcher

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Virgil , the nightwatcher 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ayza3 » May 31, 2014 8:05pm | Report
Virgil is an agility melee/ranged hero (like the troll warlord) who is a cop (at night) who can support his team giving them true sight (finnaly a good counter for riki) and can stun enemies with handcuffs.

BIO : Virgil , a Young rookie officier just graduated from military school and he's now assigned as a nightwatcher in the town Moldor where legendary time travelers brought an unknown technology and knowledge. He was teamates with another officer named Elliot, they were best friends and climbed up in ranks very quickly due to their amazing performance.

One day on a routine mission, they were giving a special mission to guard the Village Chief while he was running an important negociation, their orders were to keep an eye open for danger and shoot if there is a potential threat to the chief's life, everything was going well when a person showed up. Elliot threatened him to kill him, but Virgil told him not to. The man reached his hand in his pouch pulling something out of it, when Elliot shot him. After examination, the man was a homeless person and had a hydromel bottle in his pocket. Both were sent to prison and told Virgil if he wanted to keep his job, he had to testify against his teamate and best friend Elliot, or he will be removed from the Nightwatcher troop and reasigned as a peasant for 5 months. Of course Virgil couldn't testify against his friend so he worked as a peasant, on duty he found his friend who was angry at him for not quiting with him, after a quarrel he disapeared leaving Virgil sad, 2 hours later Virgil got a message saying that his wife is dead, he didn't need to think to know that it was Elliot (who is now a secret stealth assasin) who did it. So he swore to track and kill his former teamate and friend Elliot as a revenge for his defunt Wife.

Faction : Radiant
Role: Disabler, Support, Lane Support, Escape
Strength: 18 + 1.4
Intelligence: 16 + 0.9
Agility: 23 + 2.3
Base range : 600

Abilities:

Q- Switch Weapons: (Toggle)
Virgil sheathes his handgun and pulls his All-mighty police baton giving him bonus damage, speed and a chance to bash

Bash chance : 10%
Bash duration : 0.7
Bonus Damage : 15 / 30 / 45 / 60
Bonus Movement speed : 20

-when things get ugly, take your baton and discipline them

W- Handcuffs (melee)/ Shotgun (Ranged):
Handcuffs : Virgil cuffs the target imobilizing him and preventing him from going invisible or blink.

Handcuff duration : 1 / 1.5 / 2 / 2.5
Cast range : 128 (obviously can't cuff him from a distance)
Mana Cost : 125 / 100 / 100 / 75
Cooldown : 35/ 25 / 20 / 15

-one of the technology brought to the village is the art of forging iron, making tiying up enemies easier

Shotgun : Virgil reloads his Shotgun and uses is for his next hit dealing a critical damage Based on his actual damage, stuning and knocking back the target, but has a shorter range since shotguns fires at point blank.

Critical Damage : 75% / 100% / 150% / 200%
Knockback Duration : 0.62
Mana Cost : 75
Cooldown : 32 / 27 / 20 / 15
Range : 400 / 400 / 450 / 450

-using gunpowder with a bunch of tiny metal scraps makes deadly bullets, and a deadly weapon.

E- Roll Out : Virgil executes a military style roll stunning targets in his path

Roll Distance : 500 / 700 / 950 / 1200
Stun duration : 0.5 / 1 / 1.5 / 2
Mana cost : 125
Cooldown : 24 / 18 / 15 / 10

-when you are in danger just roll away and hope for the best

R- Nightwatching : Virgil shares his great combat and detection knowledge with his team granting them true sight, HP regen, and bonus damage for a certain duration.

Passive- is not affected by visibility alterations (night and nightstalker's ultimate)
Aura- Nightwatcher's Blessing : Grants bonus damage and HP regen for allies

True Sight Duration : 15 / 20 / 30
Bonus HP Regen : 6 / 10 / 13
Bonus Damage : 20 / 35 / 50
Mana Cost : 275 / 300 / 350
Cooldown : 125 / 100 / 75

-by concentrating, you can amplify your senses making the invisible become visible

i hope you enjoy this riki counter (now he wont annoy people)

ayza3

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Eightfold » May 31, 2014 8:38pm | Report
I don't like this hero, mainly for all of the real-world police references. Dota is primarily a fantasy world, and a police force such as one that we have doesn't really have a place in that. the Truesight duration is OP though. And riki already has plenty of counters, Slardar, Bounty Hunter, Dust of Appearance, and gem of truesight just to name a few.
There's no earthy way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing, or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining, is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of Hell a-glowing? Is the grisly Reaper mowing?! YES! The danger must be growing! For the rowers keep on rowing! And there's certainly not showing ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING!

Hit that Rep button, you know you want to.

Eightfold

Notable (9)
Steam: Lord Indoril Nerevar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ayza3 » May 31, 2014 9:50pm | Report
i fixed the duration of the ulti, but this hero can be good and quite fun to play with

ayza3

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » May 31, 2014 11:44pm | Report
let us see:
longest "blink" in game? check
2.5 sec stun? check
5 second cooldown which makes him a ****ing Anti-Mage? check
and this only his one skill.

guaranteed jinada hit with range with knockback? check

4 second disable on a 6 second cooldown and 75 mana cost? check

damage steroid and bash and movement speed like Troll Warlord? check

Truesight for everyone? check.

****ING OP HERO
please the fact that you are faster than others and have a 4 ****ING SECONDS disable on a 6 SECOND COOLDOWN, no one can run away from you. and you crit like a bastard.

think about what ya making man.wew

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cyclanoid » June 1, 2014 3:15am | Report
This hero ulti is USELESS if the other team doesn't have a hero that utilises invis. There are 4 heroes that have invis built into their skill and if the enemy team don't pick up shadow blades it is completely worthless. Who needs true sight on heroes THAT DON'T GO INVISIBLE! Essential its like a global Necro 3 without the usefulness. However the other skills, while a bit OP, are useful for a support and apart from the ulti overall (with a bit of rework) a good hero.

Cyclanoid

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ayza3 » June 1, 2014 1:58pm | Report
yeah thank you cyclanoid, i will fix him

Update : fixed the OP cooldowns (they were OP alright) and the stun durations

Update 2 : i also fixed the Uselessness of the ultimate Cyclanoid

ayza3

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cyclanoid » June 2, 2014 12:07pm | Report
Cool! That is perfect. Well done! that make his ult useful and allows him to support better. Also the cool down change make him an all round balanced hero

Cyclanoid

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ayza3 » June 3, 2014 1:31am | Report
Update Again : fixed the shotgun ability (btw its active in case you were wondering) lowering the cast range makes it a bit more challenging and a bit more logic (who fires a shotgun from a 600 units range ?)

still not sure about the ulti bonuses, should i do an aura HP regen/damage or keep it as active bonus for the duration of the ulti ?

ayza3

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » June 3, 2014 1:41am | Report
Alright, to start with, I really think it's WAY different from my the redwings. Curently he seems like a hero with gameplay of Mirana+ Bounty Hunter, an anti-invisible semi carry hero that benefit his team greatly from a global teamfight skill combined with strong ganking power because of the stuns.

Couples of suggestions: you are lacking details (i.e: hero original range, baton bash duration, W skill cast range, shotgun bonus damage counts as what damage, etc.), W skill requires a closer cooldown that is not too drastic I suggest same cooldown for both skills of 12/11/10/9 seconds, same goes for roll out since it is USELESS early on (change to 500/700/900/110 range, non-scaling stun of 1 second and 18/15/12/9 seconds cooldown and baton should give reduced damage boost but scaling move speed boost/bash chance/duration (say, 20/30/30/40 bonus damage, 10/10/15/15% bash of 1/1.25/1.25/1.5 second and 20/20/30/30 move speed boost).

This way, he is much more useful in early ganking as support that can deal a lot of damage early on combined with 3.5 seconds disable. He is going to be a highly contributing early semi carry and a great all-game hero with his ulti (thus making him a solid position 4 hero). By the way, for ult I suggest reducing the duration for increased hp regen and cooldown. I suggest 10/15/20 seconds duration, 1% max HP regen, 30/40/50 bonus damage and 80/65/50 seconds cooldown.

Of course, just suggestions. I think it's pretty good already. Would be great if you can balance up the stats and change the lore since dota is not in the real world.
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ayza3 » June 3, 2014 3:01am | Report
they are quite similar from the fact they both use guns and both have military experience.
thanks for the advice i will fix him and change the lore when i can ^^

ANOTHER UPDATE : added more info on the Hero's skills and stats, and did a little tweak for the BIO since the real world isn't welcome ^^

ayza3

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved