Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

HCC - MindReader

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » HCC - MindReader 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by eyeofskoda » December 29, 2017 6:06pm | Report
Sorry for bad english

MINDREADER

Intelligence Ranged - Support Initiator Disabler

LORE

Since the ancient times, trolls mastered themselves on a lot of studies, some mastered blades, some became doctor, and also some few were trying become master at reading minds, and controlling foes. MindReader is known as the best mindreader between all, and also father to a lot of skilled trolls out there, including Zharvakko the Witch Doctor. MindReader purges all evilness inside his enemies and when the time is right, he takes the control over their minds to teach them some lesson.

STATS

Strength 16 +2.1
Agility 13 +1.4
Intelligence 24 +2.9

Health 520
Base Health Regen 1.5
Mana 363
Base Mana Regen 0.9
Damage 51-61
Armor 1.17
Turn Rate 0.5
Vision 1800/800
Attack Range 600
Projectile Speed 1200
Base Attack Time 1.7
Movement Speed 305
Magic Resistance 25%
Collision Size 24

SKILLS

MIND VACUUM (Q)

MindReader creates a vacuum over the target area that sucks in enemy units, dealing mini stun to them.

Ability : Point Target
Affects : Enemies
Pierce Spell Immunity : No
Cast Animation : 0.4+0.7
Cast Range : 500
Effect Radius : 300/400/500/600
Pull Duration : 0.5
Mini Stun Duration : 0.15/0.2/0.25/0.3
Cooldown : 30/25/20/15
Manacost : 120/160/200/240

PSYCHIC TRAP (W)

MindReader can create radial traps around that's also visible to enemies. Whenever an enemy enters the trap they get purged and damaged, and they are purged,damaged and muted as long as they stay inside the trap.

Ability : Point Target
Charges : 2
Cast Animation : 0.1+0
Cast Range : 800
Effect Radius : 180
Damage Type : Magical
Damage : 120/160/200/240
Damage Over Time : 60/80/100/120 damage per second
Duration : 9/11/13/15
Charge Replenish Time : 36/33/30/27
Manacost : 70/80/90/100

MENTAL BOOST (E)

MindReader encourages all his allies around him, giving all allies armor, evasion, spell damage and spell cast range. Additively he gains spell radius bonuses for himself. Toggleable between affecting all allies and only heroes. Toggle does not interrupt the user's channeling spells upon cast.

Ability : Passive
Affects : Allies
Radius : 700
Armor : 2/4/6/8
Evasion(%) : 6/12/18/24
Spell Damage(%) : 6/12/18/24
Spell Cast Range : 40/80/120/160
Spell Radius Bonus for MindReader : 20/40/60/80
Dispellable : No

MINDREAD (R)

MindReader starts channeling, creating a radius around him visible to all. After a succesful channeling with enemy heroes inside the radius, MindReader and the closest enemy hero becomes invulnerable and disabled, MindReader takes control of his enemy for a period.

MR gets the targeted enemy on the same Hp/Mana and cooldowns he had. If the copy dies, they both return to life on the same positions. If the copy survives the period, they both return to life, enemy hero returns to life on the last position of the copy. If MR gets disabled/silenced during channel, or he cancels it, mana is wasted, cooldown is not. During skill, you can use all skills/items of the hero with the cooldowns you got, and when the skill finishes, your enemy takes his skills/items with the cooldowns you left.

Ability : No Target, Channeling
Cast Animation : 0.3+0
Radius : 500
Channel Time : 3/2.5/2
Copy Duration : 5/6/7
Cooldown : 90
Manacost : 175/250/325

TALENT TREE

25 MindRead pierces spell immunity / Traps root for 1 second

20 Mental Boost effects buildings / +180 gold per minute

15 Mind Vacuum slows 30% for 2 seconds / +2 Psychic Trap charges

10 +5 armor / +2 mana regeneration

PLAYSTYLE

MR is an intelligence, ranged hero that can create chaos in teamfights. His main roles are support, initiator and disabler. Mainly he is played as a lane support, situationally can be played as a mid laner. He can't disable enemies easily by himself, he's a caster hero that needs allies around. You can use Mind Vacuum to land enemies into your Psychic Traps or your allies target locations. You can be utilized by purge and mute of Psychic Traps. For a succesful MindRead cast, your allies can help you land an enemy hero in the radius at the end of the channel. You can help your team with the copy of the enemy hero, this can turn a lose to a win if used well.

RECOMMENDED ITEMS

Arcane Boots, Mekansm, Guardian Greaves, Bloodstone, Glimmer Cape, Force Staff, Veil of Discord, Necronomicon, Eul's Scepter of Divinity, Orchid Malevolence, Scythe of Vyse, Octarine Core, Black King Bar, Lotus Orb, Kaya, Aether Lens, Rod of Atos, Linken's Sphere, Blink Dagger ...

I hope you liked it, all criticism/comments are welcomed.

Brought to you by Eye Of Škoda

eyeofskoda

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by eyeofskoda » December 30, 2017 12:34pm | Report
What are your thoughts about the hero guys, i really want to fix something if it's bothering you.

eyeofskoda

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FangzofFuzzy » December 30, 2017 4:57pm | Report
I'll start this off by saying how I like his ultimate is implemented, one of the best I've seen in my years of concept creating. Granted the thematic and reasoning behind it is iffy, but it's still alright. I can't currently think of any big changes to abilities, so I'll leave these thoughts and suggestions for now and might come back later.

Also, Witch Doctor is no longer actually a troll in canon. Though trolls do possess magic like Shadow Shaman, so I guess it's alright either way.

I think you could play to the mind manipulation theme more. For example, Mind Vacuum could become Mind Lure that instead of directly pulling the enemies will force them to walk to the center of the targeted area. You could make it actually disable them for the duration while increasing the duration. This will help differentiate it from the very similar Vacuum. It's also a lot weaker than Dark Seer's Q, losing out damage, radius and actual disruption which are all very important tools compared to slightly lower cooldown.

For Psychic Trap, does it keep damaging and purging enemies who walk in and out of the radius? Instead of using cooldown, I think state it as Charge Restore Time like other charge-based abilities.

Does the aura bonuses of Mental Boost affect Mindreader himself? Onto the ability itself, I do think the aura does too many things at once. What if you separated the bonuses to become like Null Field, where you toggle between the defensive bonuses (Armor and evasion) versus the offensive ones (Spell amplification and cast range)? Of course with a cooldown attached, but this version will still help you toggle the armor and evasion away from creeps albeit it's more difficult.

I do feel Mindread should be renamed to Mind Control as you really aren't reading their minds. Also because of how it works, I believe it'd be better if you could use the target's abilities and items from level 1 onwards, but perhaps levelling the ability will scale up the duration. Right now the dynamic of killing the copy is interesting, but is actually difficult as the ability lasts really short and the copy might have too much health. So maybe the copy's health (And maybe mana too for further balancing) could be halved as well, and set the duration to something like 6/8/10?

FangzofFuzzy

Notable (9)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by eyeofskoda » December 30, 2017 5:27pm | Report
First of all, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
About vacuum, i thought i needed a skill that's gonna be useful together with other skills, with your traps or your allies skills. I could make it a disabling skill but i wasn't sure if it's gonna make the hero a little OP. If making it a disabling skill is not going to be a big deal, i can change it to walk thing, i actually liked that. Walking to the center. And by the way, your passive affects you too. Your passive increases vacuum's radius too. And at the end it's lower cooldown than DS's vacuum so i thought if i don't make it a disable skill, or a damaging skill, it would be fine. I gotta decide on this skill before the deadline.
For the traps, they purge/damage whenever they hit the trap, it ends that moment. To get damaged once again they have to get out and get in once again, your first skill also helps you do that, vacuuming people into several traps. Or you can place them on your enemies behind and you force them go in etc...
Also gotta decide that one if somethings wrong.
I'm not sure about making the passive like that, the stats it gives are good and no need to share i guess. As an old pro Rubick player, i don't like the new Null Field change tho :p
And for the ultimate, i wasn't sure if it would be OP controlling the enemies items/skills at lvl 6. But also, waiting for lvl 18 to use items, or lvl 12 to use skills is not good. I can change the duration and hp/mana maybe. We will see.

eyeofskoda

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AttackHelicopter » December 30, 2017 6:39pm | Report
Hmmm now this is fine, I guess although I gotta say, this hero is suffering to a design method I would like to call Ability Draft/Legends of Dota. It's basically putting a bunch of abilities and then making a hero out of it. Now the abilities are fine they are good, mediocre at best and copycats at their worst. The problem with the hero is he doesn't have a particular niche/role his an amalgamation of multiple heroes. His Q is same with Seer (albeit with different properties) his W is TA's Ult, His E which is, by the way, the best ability he has is kinda like Solar Crest with Ring of Aquila (sorta) and let's be honest his Ult is just a channeled version and a combination of Both Primal Split and Infest.

Here is where his name comes in. MindReader, huh what can be the abilities of a mind reader. Maybe he can see an enemy hero's ability levels maybe he can "control" an ability of the hero and turning it against him/her (so let's say God Strength he can augment it so it'll do reverse effects) and the Ult can still be the same but rework it I like the infest motif but the channeling is quite meh, now the channeling can still be preserved but maybe scale it from 3/2/1. Now the one ability I REAAALLY like is that E, give it better numbers and make it a Unit Target ability (so it's like a buff) I don't like a hero who has passive that gives good bonus without even giving it manually it's pretty lazy and an *** to play against because the only way to stop it is break, like Seriously Evasion, Spell amp, and Cast Range are waaaaaaaay to good to be put as a passive aura it should be a unit target boost.

AttackHelicopter

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FangzofFuzzy » December 30, 2017 11:15pm | Report
Vacuum cancels blinks, cancels channeling and has a larger radius even considering Mental Boost's radius increase. 5 seconds of lower cooldown simply doesn't make up for that. If you want them to be significantly different while insisting on keeping it as a non-damaging and non-disabling ability, make the cooldown very much lower to reflect this.

The stats the aura provides is good, I never said they were bad. I simply do too many things at once, passively if I might add. But what do you mean by 'no need to share I guess?'? And I'd like your explanation for why you dislike toggling auras to get different effects. It gave Rubick players more skill expression, became more interactive and much less boring as an aura. Your current aura is like how most auras currently are, including the old Null Field, passive and uninteractive. I was trying to suggest a way to make it more interesting, but hey it's your hero.

Actually I want to bring up a question on the ultimate. You say it's a copy of the target so if the copy used spells, will the target hero's own spells be put on cooldown when they are brought back?

FangzofFuzzy

Notable (9)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by eyeofskoda » December 31, 2017 5:58pm | Report
Final changes are ;
Vacuum is dealing mini stun and cooldown is getting very low at the end.
Traps are going to deal the same damage and purge when enemies enter it as before, but now enemy heroes are purged every moment they stay inside the traps and they get damaged from traps damage over time.
Passive is unchanged. I'm not a fan of single target boost. This looks good.
Ultimate is reworked. Lower channeling at higher levels, longer copy time, and skills/items are available from level 1 ultimate. If you use skills, or use items (can't consume consumables, just items with an active, and also you get the bonuses from aura items), when the skill is done, the enemy is going to have the cooldowns you had at the end (you can blackhole and waste his skill etc..).

By saying 'no need to share i guess', i meant seperating the stats from the buff, what you said.
I hope you liked the changes and i really want the comments on these.

eyeofskoda

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FangzofFuzzy » January 1, 2018 8:09am | Report
I think the changes are alright. Psychic Traps dealing DoT might be too similar with Dark Seer's combo though, so that's something to look out for since you're already edging into his territory.

Ultimate seems incredibly strong on paper if its sets their cooldowns, but I guess it's balanced by encouraging proactive use instead of reactive ones like Spell Steal and Time Dilation. Possibly increase the cooldown to balance it a little more regardless.

FangzofFuzzy

Notable (9)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved