Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Gaius, The Colossus

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Gaius, The Colossus 6 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JerfyBawss » December 11, 2014 1:27pm | Report
Gaius, The Colossus
A giant canopy soars to the heavens... The anger of the sleeping giant shatters the earth...
Radiant
Strength
Melee
Roles: Durable, Initiator, Disabler,

Lore
A large beast, known to passers by as the the Earthen Knight, rests in a ruined arena above a lake located in the forbidden lands. Its origins lie in mystery but its purpose is clearer. The colossal beast, standing at 30 meters tall and weighing in at close to 160 tons, challenges all who approach it. This implies its duty of being a sentinel, or need of eternal lonliness. Mages and scholars wish to know more about this myth of knight a size of a tower just outside their lands but none have returned from their confronting of the beast.

Invaders of nearby civilizations have awoken the Earthen Knight. The colossal being fights alongside the men that it has intimidated for centuries to destroy its aggressors.

Statistics

Strength: 109 (30 /+3.3)
Agility: 33 (9 /+1)
Intelligence 51 (15 /+1.5)

Base Health: 720
Base Mana: 195
Base Damage: 92
Base Armor: 1
Movement Speed: 220
Attacks Per Second: .35
Range: 225 (Melee)
Vision Range: 1800/800

Abilities

Q: Earthquake (Passive)
The Colossus' footsteps shake the earth beneath them, dealing magic damaging and slowing in an AoE around the Colossus.
50/65/80/95 magic damage per instance of Earthquake
10%/15%/20%/25% movement speed slow for a 3 second duration
350 radius
Every 220 units moved without stopping is considered 1 step and will cause 1 instance of Earthquake
Stopping in the middle of a move order will reset the distance required to cause 1 instance of Earthquake
Example: Force staff creates 3 instances of Earthquake when used on Colossus

Day 7 of observation: I've always known when the beast arises for challengers, the earthquakes it causes wake me up just in time to study a confrontation.

W: Crumbling Armor (Passive)
The ancient stonework that armors the Colossus' body falls off when met with impact, crashing down and falling on those below the height of the beast. When 74% health is reached, the first layer will go away, removing the armor bonus from that layer, and deal damage in an AoE around Gaius. The same procedure will happen at 49% health and 24% health.
Armor Layers 1/2/3/3
Armor Bonus per layer +3/+4/+5/+7
Damage from falling armor 125/175/225/275 (magical)
Radius 350

Armor layers are recovered at:
1:90% health
2:65% health
3:40% health

Day 13 of observation: Many contenders have fallen to the beast's armor chunks eroding off of its body. It may seem a silly death, but it's like watching an average size home drop on a defensless man's head. I hope not to die that when I confront it.

E: Blade of The Earth (Active)
Target unit and 250 radius around it
After winding up for 1.7/1.5/1.3/1.1 seconds, Gaius smashes his pillar of stone into the ground, stunning and damaging units. After this ability, Gaius enters an unbreakable channel (recovery period) lasting 4/3/2/1.5 seconds removing his pillar from the ground.
Range: 450 (Also affects units in 250 radius around target)
Damage: 200/250/300/375 (magical)
Stun Duration: 2/2.25/2.5/3
Cooldown: 25 seconds
Mana Cost: 200

Day 1 of Observation: 1 challenger has already come today and has been slaughtered on the end of the beast's arm. It seems to resemble a blade...

R: Crush (Passive) (Must have Earthquake to be able to skill into)
If a full step (denoted in Earthquake desc) is made when an enemy is within 150/170/190 AoE of the Colossus, they are stunned for .5/.75/1 seconds and take extra damage in addition to an instance of Earthquake equal to Gaius' strength in pure damage.
Enemies affected by Crush are immune to further instances of Crush for 12 seconds.

The rest of the book's pages are crumpled and flattened. It's impossible to read them.

This is my third hero. Props to Shadow of The Colossus.

JerfyBawss

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PokerKid » December 12, 2014 1:07am | Report
too many damage and passive....
"Better not.. Just because you don't know what's in it, and want to open Pandora's box, because if you know what's inside the box before you open it, it won't be interesting at all." -Kid

PokerKid

Notable (2)
Steam: PokerKid
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BKvoiceover » December 12, 2014 7:43am | Report
Melee heroes don't stand a snowball's chance in hell against this guy.

That 3 second slow from earthquake will make it pretty difficult for anything to run away, but the 200 hundred movement speed will kindof compensate for this.

As far as I can see, I would build this guy as a tanky initiator, maybe with a Rod of Atos.

-BK

BKvoiceover

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: BKvoiceoverGames
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JerfyBawss » December 12, 2014 12:44pm | Report
BKvoiceover wrote:

Melee heroes don't stand a snowball's chance in hell against this guy.

That 3 second slow from earthquake will make it pretty difficult for anything to run away, but the 200 hundred movement speed will kindof compensate for this.

As far as I can see, I would build this guy as a tanky initiator, maybe with a Rod of Atos.

-BK

What would you suggest I change about Gaius to make him more fair?

JerfyBawss

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Scezory » December 12, 2014 3:33pm | Report
The scaling for Crumbling Armor is kinda weird.

I think he is kinds under powered though, his passive slows for 25%. With boots, he will move at 250 MS. The average MS is around 300 and then boots to make it 350. A 25% slow means they will move at 161.5 MS. That is still faster than Gaius.
Before you ask why, think for a moment, why not.

Scezory

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JerfyBawss » December 12, 2014 5:52pm | Report
The scaling for crumbling armor is the way it is because I cannot add a 4th layer of armor that will break at 99% hp. That would be OP! The last level gives more armor than the previous levels to compensate for lack of another layer and the damage continues to scale normally.

Buffed move speed by 20. When Gaius slows, he will be moving 9 units faster than other units. I don't want to go any higher though; movement speed is the greatest check against Gaius.

JerfyBawss

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved