Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Riki

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Riki 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kurti » February 21, 2013 3:06pm | Report
Hi,

I really enjoy playing Riki. We often play as a team of four friends and I team up with Crystal Maiden, which works very well. So far so good. Tonight I played again and had 21 1 15, however I constantly had to hear from the other team, that I am a n00b, because I often do the finishes. Since we Play as a team, I usually don't initiate, unless I have a single hero somewhere, then I smoke him, put my diffusal blade on him and usually finish him then. However due to the way we play, I often have just finishing kills.

Is there a certain etiquette on how to play Riki? Yes, I admit freely, I am a n00b, I play Dota since 3 weeks and quite enjoy it, but apparently there are many people with much more experience than I have.

Thanks for the Feedback.

K

Kurti

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mightycookie » February 21, 2013 3:25pm | Report
they are just pissing you off because they realize you are stomping them with a hero thats easily stopped. they just have to get a gem early and walk in groups, since tikis and other invi heroes usually dont check inventories, and they dont see that they have gem. they stand in bad places where the other team can rape him with giant *****s.
peace.

mightycookie

Notable (5)
Steam: nohanmeza
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » February 21, 2013 4:35pm | Report
There are heroes that are considered "Pub-Stompers". Riki is one of them, a "Pub-Stomper" is a hero that is very easily countered, but excels at dominating lower-tier players because they are too ignorant to simply buy the counter item or pick the counter hero. An example would be Bloodseeker, to counter Bloodseeker all you have to do is use a TP Scroll as soon as he uses his ULT on you or to not move at all.

They are mad at you because they are mad at themselves because no one on there team had the decency to buy Sentry Wards, Dust of Appearance, Gem of Truesight, or a Necronomicon (lvl 3). This leads to you being able to basically do whatever you want the whole game.

While I don't normally condone relying on the enemy team's fault to win the game, I will suggest you just ignore them and keep picking Rikimaru. If someone does happen to buy one of those items, just communicate to your team that the hero holding the item is your priority target during a fight.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » February 21, 2013 4:47pm | Report
xCO2 wrote:

While I don't normally condone relying on the enemy team's fault to win the game, I will suggest you just ignore them and keep picking Rikimaru. If someone does happen to buy one of those items, just communicate to your team that the hero holding the item is your priority target during a fight.

That only really works with Gem. You can pop dust or drop a ward before you die and Riki remains visible.

With Riki, the one thing I see picked up far too often is BKB. You can stay in the fight and do you job even if the enemy can see you.

Basically, just make sure you are putting your silence on heroes like Invoker or Zeus and try to kill them quick. If you cant, go for easier pickings like an enemy Crystal Maiden or Lion. You are an assassin, get in and get out as fast as you can. As soon as you lose aggro, go back in. Hit and run.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » February 21, 2013 4:54pm | Report
Atlas wrote:

That only really works with Gem. You can pop dust or drop a ward before you die and Riki remains visible.

With Riki, the one thing I see picked up far too often is BKB. You can stay in the fight and do you job even if the enemy can see you.

Basically, just make sure you are putting your silence on heroes like Invoker or Zeus and try to kill them quick. If you cant, go for easier pickings like an enemy Crystal Maiden or Lion. You are an assassin, get in and get out as fast as you can. As soon as you lose aggro, go back in. Hit and run.

I was gonna go re-edit my post and fix that, but I figured that he assumed I meant Gem. Obviously Riki isn't reliant specifically on his invisibility, but since it is a big part of his kit, its good to defend yourself from counters.

Also, a good thing to have in habit if you're playing with a group is to have your support de-ward their Sentry Wards if they see one being placed in lane.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kurti » February 21, 2013 11:48pm | Report
thanks, that's very helpful. Yes I know that in a game with a lot of sentry wards, my life is a bit harder :-). And I have to say, there is one downside to this game ... it is addictive :-).

What would you recommend as a hero in higher tiers?

Thanks again for the replies.

Kurti

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PeachFuzz » February 25, 2013 8:15am | Report
As long as you're good with a hero, it'll work for you in any tier.

There are roughly 20-30 heros that are competitively played all the time. These tend to shift, so the only way you can get a hang of them is to watch pro games. For example, Gyrocopter is new and popular, but AM and Morphling have died off.

Some heros are eternally competitive though, such as Enigma, Beastmaster, Chen/Enchantress, Venomancer, and others I can't remember.

PeachFuzz

Notable (11)
Steam: PeachFuzz
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mortal_wombat » March 3, 2013 3:06am | Report
i agree that as long as you're good with a hero you can do good in any tier but for beginners i wouldn't really recommend just playing riki. somebody told me when i was starting that playing invisible heroes can feel great, them being pub stompers, but you don't really learn how to play the game right. you don't learn how to push, lane control or right positioning because you don't have to and invisible heroes are really easy to counter. last riki i played against had his *** handed to him and instead of his regular 20-3-15 he finished 3-18-2
by all means play Riki but don't limit yourself, don't be just another Riki player :)
my $.02

mortal_wombat

Steam: mvombat
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SkyStormSpectre » March 6, 2013 11:41pm | Report
If you like Riki, a similar played hero that people might call 'noob' less, is Bounty Hunter. An active invisibility, the ability to Track enemies to give vision around them and see them if they are invisible, and high burst damage passive and active, he's also fun to play with as a low-hp hero killer.

But I agree with Mortal_Wombat, I would also play other heroes. The more heroes you play, the more you will learn how to counter them when playing your favourite heroes.

SkyStormSpectre

Remarkable (22)
Steam: 5K|SkyyStørm
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » March 14, 2013 10:33am | Report
Play and keep on experimenting with heroes.Who knows,a new favourite may be just a click away.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved