Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Ranked Matchmaking

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Ranked Matchmaking 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dan Is » August 18, 2014 6:11pm | Report
Hey everyone,

My first post here, so it might already be in a thread and I just couldn't find it (is there a search function?)

I've played about 150 hours on DOTA2, and I'm almost at level 13 -- when I can play ranked. Is it worth jumping into ranked right away?

I play some friends a lot, and they are a little further away from it. Should I wait for them?

What's the big differences between ranked and pub in terms of the game and community?
Hard supports are hard.

Dan Is

Notable (2)
Steam: Dan
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » August 18, 2014 7:57pm | Report
I wouldn't jump into Ranked, it's not worth it to start right away and end up with a low MMR. Being lvl13 or lvl300 doesn't make a difference. It's when you get to the point where your Teammates and opponents start using advanced tactics like Smoke Ganks, Warding and Dewarding, running Tri-Lanes, etc. that you know you're ready for Ranked. By that point, you should find yourself at 3-5k MMR.

There are no real differences between Ranked and regular play. You're just playing to win a higher number than you already have in Ranked, so use Regular Matchmaking to experiment, learn and have fun.

If you want a place where games are better coordinated and where DOTA really becomes a Team game, look for a good Clan/Guild/whatchamacallit that hosts lobby games regularly, there's a lot out there for different types of skill levels and preferred game modes, etc.

P.S. The only search function for this site is opening another tab and using Google...high tech stuff here 8{3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BKvoiceover » August 18, 2014 8:50pm | Report
There really is no difference between ranked and regular pubs. All you do ranked for is to get a high mmr, and quite honestly mmr is not a reflection of your actual skill. I know friends who won all 10 of their entry games and only got an mmr of 2300 it all depends on who you face.

Xyrus wrote:

If you want a place where games are better coordinated and where DOTA really becomes a Team game, look for a good Clan/Guild/whatchamacallit that hosts lobby games regularly, there's a lot out there for different types of skill levels and preferred game modes, etc.

^ This. There are great clans and guilds in-game where you'll meet great people who know the game. If you are looking to play ranked I would really recommend playing with a good group of mates. In my opinion that is the best and most fun way to enjoy.

See you on the battlefield,

-BK

BKvoiceover

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: BKvoiceoverGames
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » August 19, 2014 2:35am | Report
It really depends. If you're already in high skill brackets (I THINK dotabuff showed this?) then you probably can without much problems.

If not, I would get at least 200 wins under my belt - you're prepared for rank if you're capable of playing all roles (especially support) to a decent level AND be patient with the community. Ragers can do well in ranked but if you haven't got out of the point where you ***** about your teammates doing well without giving them constructive criticism then you'll just get stressed out in ranked.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jawbreaker261 » August 19, 2014 10:00am | Report
There's almost no difference at all. There tends to be more parties/stacks in unranked, and you get (slightly) fewer trolls in ranked.

jawbreaker261

Notable (4)
Steam: jawbreaker261
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » August 19, 2014 11:05am | Report
i wouldnt play ranked after only 150 hours. i would try to atleast have 500 games.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerak Kyria » August 19, 2014 4:45pm | Report
Here is some advice I have learned.
My friend calibrated and at lvl 13 and got ~1000 mmr.
We both then told another friend not to calibrate at lvl 13.. what does he do?
Calibrate and get ~950 mmr.
So to answer the question. Don't calibrate till u get advanced tactics as mentioned above.
Your new diet for heroes; You will need 4 wards (cuz wards taste better), 1 set of tangoes, 1 mango, 1 cheese.
With this you can make a nice Tango Mango Cheese platter. You can wash this all down with a nice bottle of water, Can be flavoured with red, green, yellow, blue, purple AND GOLD!
Caution: Taking roshan 3 times is required.

Zerak Kyria

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dan Is » August 20, 2014 10:51am | Report
Thanks! I'll probably hold off until I can play with the friends I play with now, and maybe a little bit after that too.
Hard supports are hard.

Dan Is

Notable (2)
Steam: Dan

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved