Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Player Characteristics

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Player Characteristics 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Irasian » June 13, 2013 3:52am | Report
Out of curiosity what do people consider to be the best "trait" of a dota player.

For example I find that polite players are actually fun to play with, some players might be highly skilled but sometimes that couldn't communicate if their life depended on it or if they do it is comment on the skill level of other players on the team e.g. "stop feeding noob" "we will probably be better off if you stopped playing dota altogether" rather then perhaps giving them constructive criticism like "tower diving can be a fairly bad idea when a melee hero especially if the opponent has a stun and has most of their health" or "auto clicking creeps can push the lane making you easier to be ganked".
Or they might not be good with teams and try to solo the entire enemy team and might even succeed. Sure we might win in the end but I find winning isn't everything but rather in how the game is played. A quote from one of my favourite games "losing is fun".

TL;DR What kind of player do you like playing with overall?

Irasian

Notable (2)
Steam: Irasian
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » June 13, 2013 5:04am | Report
I like any player that knows how to play their role and hero. I hate seeing supports trying to farm, get kills and carry. Instead, when I see supports placing wards, actually protecting the carry and making stacks and such, I enjoy playing with that people. I don't care if he's rude, or Russian, or whatever, as long as he knows what to do.

Anyway, since I've started playing competitively and mostly team-matchmaking, I don't have problems with bad or unmannered players anymore.

This is just my opinion though, I play to win.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » June 13, 2013 10:09am | Report
Personally, I prefer players that try to communicate and play as a team...

Quoted:
"stop feeding noob" "we will probably be better off if you stopped playing dota altogether"

...although, I have to admit, this irks me. A player in a 5 vs 5 game is not a good player unless he is a Team player. No good Team player spouts abuse at their teammates.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nih116 » June 17, 2013 5:18am | Report
In general I also enjoy playing with people who work as a team, since this is obviously a team game that only stands to reason. Overall, even I struggle (being a newer player) with learning to stop what I am doing and follow the team around, but I started playing Omniknight recently just so I could learn to do it more efficiently.

I would say my favorite type to play with are experienced, knowledgeable players who aren't jerks about it. So those who lead the team to victory, talk about what to do rather than just spam pinging the map (which is insanely annoying).

One thing I would like to see stop / start.. It would be amazing in pub matches if people would stop looking down on new players and being abusive ***tards.. why not impart some wisdom on someone rather than be verbally (or typed) abusive.. if you sucked someone into a trap, just tell him that. say something like "You shouldn't follow your opponents that far into their side of the lane, it will usually be a trap" or something similar. Can you, or should you, do that for every occasion... heck no, but giving helpful tips is better than "LOL, Noob Drow" or something similar.

I have read a lot of people spout about turning DOTA 2 into a more new player supportive arena.. well, it definitely starts with the in game attitude, and then extends to showing new players where to go to access the DOTA 2 communities.

P.s <(o)> <3 DOTA2
Eye Heart Self Explanitory

Nih116

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by manic_e » June 17, 2013 10:29am | Report
I'd rather play in a team with no communication than a team with abusive communication. I find I win more with the former than I do with the later. I think the people who do spout abuse for the tiniest thing probably have self esteem issues and deflect their own mistakes onto you, so that they don't have to blame themselves.

manic_e

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » June 18, 2013 12:55am | Report
It's great when you play with a team on the same wavelength as you - for example you and your lane partner click into doing your jobs naturally, look out each other and set up some good combos. Soon enough a "GJ" here and "TY" there and the whole team is working together. Doesn't necessarily need a lot of comms.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » June 18, 2013 12:57am | Report
Sando wrote:

It's great when you play with a team on the same wavelength as you - for example you and your lane partner click into doing your jobs naturally, look out each other and set up some good combos. Soon enough a "GJ" here and "TY" there and the whole team is working together. Doesn't necessarily need a lot of comms.

True. I hate it when we're supposed to split push to win the game, and my team groups up mid and gets owned by Magnus + Earthshaker combo. Really pisses me off when we're not coordinated.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » June 18, 2013 2:35am | Report
Players who are smart (not super good - smart. If you see the enemy having a lot of stuns, replace your supposed shadow blade with that BKB. Even if you can't last hit or do something that well compared to other people, so long that you know how to adjust to the current situation then I'm good with that. Though I do hate people who suck AND don't cooperate though) tend to be high on my list.

Generally, I love support players- good supports can definitely carry, but good carries can not necessarily support well.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved