Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Noob Questions

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Noob Questions 4 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Evil Oneipheton » July 25, 2013 10:26pm | Report
Okay, I've played other MOBAs but Dota 2 is really different in regards to a million different things. Here are a few of my general questions:

What is the meta?
What are some good champs to start with?
Would it be better to build items towards damage or stats?

I understand a little about this game, but like with every MOBA I've played there is somewhat of a learning curve, and Dota 2 has the highest I've had to deal with. I'm not so much worried about champ or item names, I just would like to know where each role fits on in the team. I know the carry in league would build some variation of dmg/crit/atkspd, but as far as items and stats in Dota 2 go that is completely new to me. If I can get some insight on the topic that would be amazing. Thanks for your time!!
I am necessary evil...
Evil Oneipheton

Evil Oneipheton

Steam: Evil Oneipheton
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PeachFuzz » July 25, 2013 11:26pm | Report
Roles in Dota 2 are best described as #1-5, where 1 gets the most farm, and 5 the least.

Typically, 1 would be your AGI/STR carry on the safelane, while 2 is your STR/INT semi-carry in the solo mid position. What separates Dota 2 from LoL in terms of LoL's so-called "meta", is what heroes the 3-5 positions are, and how they lane.

4 + 1 strat: put all farm on carry. In this case, 4 and 5 would be hard supports with skill repertoires that are best at keeping the carry alive and create safe space to farm in the safelane. 3 could be an initiator or utility support, and 3 can lane in jungle (abandoning one lane altogether), or try to solo the hardlane.

Three-core strat: distribute farm among 1-3 positions. Typically teams run an offensive trilane with 3-5 having the best skills at fighting at early levels. Both mid and safelane are solos who are adept at winning the lane.

Push strat: #2 mid, #3 jungle, #1,4,5 on the safelane with skills required for early push. The jungler would usually convert some neutrals and push very early, and get the tower before 4-5min. Then the team groups up as 5 and try to take all towers down, get Rosh, and break the base. Farm is more equally distributed because supports need to be useful very early.

Roam strat: #1 safelane, #2 mid, #3 offlane, all very good solo heroes. 4 and 5 walk around with smokes and consumables and get kills in every lane and try to transition that into a push.

There are many other "metas" that can work, just have fun with them. Some heroes are more required for "metas" than others, so before you play a hero, read a guide first! It'll tell you what the skill/item builds are according to how you're playing it.

PeachFuzz

Notable (11)
Steam: PeachFuzz
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yoda » July 26, 2013 1:20am | Report
Go to Dota2wiki.com and keep scrolling down til you find the "New to Dota 2" part. It can be found under "Heroes", next to a video. There you will find many amzing guide that will aid you in becoming a better player and understanding the main mechanics of the game :) I'd recommend Purge's guide "Welcome to Dota 2, You suck" and the switching from league of legends thread.
"Success is like being pregnant, everybody congratulates you, but nobody knows how many times you were f**ked."

Yoda

Notable (9)
Steam: useyourname1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Evil Oneipheton » July 26, 2013 8:48am | Report
Okay that makes sense. I appreciate the help for sure. Thanks guys so much. I've been confused about how to set up team compositions because I was stuck in a league mentality. The few strats you gave me helped break that and I'm thinking along the lines Dota 2 now. And Yoda I'm pulling those pages up now. Thanks again!!
I am necessary evil...
Evil Oneipheton

Evil Oneipheton

Steam: Evil Oneipheton

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved