Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

New Player going from Lol to DOTA...

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » New Player going from Lol to DOTA... 4 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BloBBloB99 » August 27, 2013 12:49pm | Report
Hi guys.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions before I begin my DOTA journey.
First and foremost, what heroes are good for new players? I've personally wanted to try Morphling out, but I want other suggestions aswell.

Next up are the items. There's so many I don't even know where to begin. Whats your starting gold and which items do you think I must know about?

Thanks!

BloBBloB99

Steam: BloBBloB
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » August 27, 2013 3:43pm | Report
Morphling is a hero that you probably shouldn't start with. He needs alot of cs, good map awareness and reflexes. If you wanna try him, nothings stopping you. As for some heros that are friendly for new players, skeleton king, lich, lion, and the heros in the limited hero pool.

Items-The most common bought item starting out is the iron branch (53g) and you start with 603g. It gives +1 to every stat. Get a pair or 2 of tangos which you use on a tree to regen hp(about 110 or 115) and they come in a stack of 3 for 90g. Next is a healing salve which is 400 regen in 10 sec but can be canceled by damage. Sometimes people get the cheapest solo stat item. Gauntlets of str, slippers of agi or mantle of int (+3 stats to which ever one). The most common mid build is 3 branches and a tango as you want a fast bottle. A support would buy courier and wards and more regen and maybe a branch or clarity. The carry might buy a quelling blade(boosts damage if attack a creep) or a stout shield(% chance to block some damage). There are alot of guides here for which ever hero you like.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Steam: smiles
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » August 27, 2013 3:53pm | Report
I think for the most part you should find two heroes that seem interesting to you, and research both's roles/items/skills as much as you can, then queue for a match with picking either one in mind. Try to find two heroes with different roles.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DzikaPanda » August 27, 2013 5:56pm | Report
Go go carry Lina, so fun to play with her on lower level of mmr. I can recommend all heroes with strong dmg ultimates like Lion, Queen of Pain, Clinkz.

Core items you want to buy on Lina and Lion (when playing typical pub mid, later on their roles are kinda more support) are Arcane Boots, Null Talisman or Bracer (optional) and then Aghanim's Scepter.

For QoP - Power Treads > Null Talisman > Aghanim's Scepter and then Scythe of Vyse if they have farmed carries or Orchid Malevolence if they have strong skills you want to avoid during team fight.

Clinkz - Power Treads > Ring of Aquila > Orchid Malevolence > dmg items like Daedalus or Black King Bar.

You can buy bottle for all of them if you control runes and remember to save mana for ganks if you don't need to use it on lane. Start ganking from lvl 6/7 when you have ulti and 1 maxed skill.
"When game is going full ******, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half ******, you´re ****ing done for. When Aloha decides to go middle rubick you let him, and you start buying orb of venom on invoker. That's how dota works" -n0tail

DzikaPanda
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (16)
Steam: Kawaii Moe Kid

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved