Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Micro keys versus item slots

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Micro keys versus item slots 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Lars » September 20, 2012 12:18pm | Report
I can't say that I'm new to dota 2 but I've always ignored the micro-intensive heroes. So I set my item slots from 1-6. But now that I'm starting to get interested in micro-oriented heroes like Chen and Enchantress and even Lone Druid, I realize that my item key slots conflict with my unit key slots. So . . . yeah. Any advice? How can I arrange my items and units for a more fluid control over my hero.

Thanks in advance.

Lars

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » September 20, 2012 12:24pm | Report
Well, just make the unit spells like your hero spells.

For example, you're playing Chen and you got a Centaur, you just press TAB and then press Q to use Centaur's stun, then TAB again to switch back to Chen

Tab = switching units

Q W E R = your basic hero spells binded on the unit spells too. Mirror.

See what I mean?
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Lars » September 20, 2012 12:38pm | Report
That's not what I meant. I do that already. My problem is that I want to control the units individually. Such as, if I press 1 then my control is centered on my hero. If I press 2, then it's centered to another unit. Say Centaur Khan. The skills aren't the problem. It's that I activate my items with 1,2,3 and most micro-ing guides I read tell me to change my control so that by pressing the number keys I can control a particular unit i.e. micro the unit. None of them actually specify what I should do with my items.

Lars

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » September 20, 2012 12:51pm | Report
Lars wrote:

That's not what I meant. I do that already. My problem is that I want to control the units individually. Such as, if I press 1 then my control is centered on my hero. If I press 2, then it's centered to another unit. Say Centaur Khan. The skills aren't the problem. It's that I activate my items with 1,2,3 and most micro-ing guides I read tell me to change my control so that by pressing the number keys I can control a particular unit i.e. micro the unit. None of them actually specify what I should do with my items.

I see... so you want buttons which you can use to chose the unit you want to use?

I use F1 for my hero, maybe you could try F1 F2 F3 F4? Anything that's comfortable for you?
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Lars » September 20, 2012 12:53pm | Report
I feel so stupid for not having thought of that. But that's because someone told me to do that and I wasn't sure if it was a troll or a sincere suggestion. So I just assumed it was a troll since it was dota 2. :-|

Lars

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Raidhyn » September 21, 2012 8:23am | Report
For my Items I use A Backspace D for the top row and Z X C for the bottom row. I left S as my key for stop but the other ones are close enough to where i can reach them easily and I don't think they conflict with anything else. Maybe try that out and see if going downward for item keys instead of up is easy for you.

Raidhyn

Notable (4)
Steam: Raidhyn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PotM_Plz » September 21, 2012 9:01am | Report
Quick binding control groups/Units can be done by selected the unit or units you wish to bind, hold Shift and Control, then (while holding) press the key you want it/them to be bound to.

PotM_Plz

Notable (19)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by nryn » September 23, 2012 6:00am | Report
lol, i still use numpad for items.
z is for skill upgrade and x is for stats. coz o and u is somewhere in the middle of the keyboard and i don't memorize anything between TGB and Enter.

those times where there's no hotkey and warkey.

nryn

Notable (1)
Steam: rice_in_a_bowl

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved