Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Looking for someone to train

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Looking for someone to train 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mindriot07 » February 26, 2014 5:02am | Report
I see that there is a cool feature in DoTA 2 for training with friends. So, I thought I would go around and see if there is anyone willing to add me as a friend and do some one on one training. I do not currently have any friends that play DoTA 2, so I am must resort to finding a random stranger.

This is not only my first time play DoTA 2, but it is my first real MOBA. I have been playing a ****py one on my iPad, but it is kind of hard to compare the two. I have been doing some research and have taught myself a good amount of the mechanics, it is putting them into practice that I am finding difficult. Plus, with the community be as...abrasive...as it is, I am finding it hard to muster there courage to just go play some online games. I know that this is probably the hardest one of them all to get into, but I am up for a challenge.

This looks like an awesome and fun game and I feel I am missing out on a great gaming experience, so I a hoping someone out there in the DoTA Fire community will be willing to lend a hand to a Noob such as myself.
Man...I hate being a noob...

Mindriot07

Steam: mindriot07
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » February 26, 2014 5:16am | Report
i'm always ready. ex-LoL plat 3.three months into DoTA

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mindriot07 » February 26, 2014 5:36am | Report
Cool! What is your Steam name and I will add you.

Mindriot07

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » February 26, 2014 8:46am | Report
i have added ya.shane.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » February 26, 2014 9:04am | Report
You are right. The cool thing (or not cool for some people) is that dota has a massive learing curve, and that after years you still learn and get better at the game.

Ive been playing dota 2 for about a year now and you really have to commit if you want to get semi-good at it.
I see myself as having above avarage skill with the amount of games ive played, and after just more then 400 games i would still rank myself somewhere between 3 and 3.5 out of 10 compared to pros. And im proud of it :P

O yea, i wrote this guide to beginners in a post a few days ago.

If you want to play the game for a prolonged period of time and get semi-decent/good in your matchmaking pool i would follow these steps:

Step 1: Read welcome to dota 2 you suck. http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck
Everyone who gets into the game should read this.

Step 2: Play every single hero, or atleast the ones you think are interesting. If you dont play all get to know then by watching all 107 of dotacinema's hero spotlight video's that explain hero skills but not the hero themselves in about 2 minutes.
Learn the standard hero roles and pick according to that.

Step 3: Play a lot of dota. Get good at some heroes and try to play any role to some extent.

Step 4: Read a lot of guides and people's responses to them. Try to think for yourself why a certain build is better in a specific situation. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT (BLINDLY) FOLLOW THE STANDARD RECCOMENDED ITEMS IN THE GAME!!!!!11!!!!!111!
Learn basic hero synergy and why certain heroes are better in certain situations.

Step 5: Watch the competitive scene. This will help you massively in understanding the game. From items to skill builds to why a certain hero is so good in a certain situation.
I have been watching it since before the international 2013 in August and i still learn things and get better at the game from watching it.

You can stop at any step but that will mean that your progression will stall and you will hardly get better. Atleast relative to your matchmaking pool.
See for yourself how much you want to commit to dota.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mindriot07 » February 26, 2014 3:45pm | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

You are right. The cool thing (or not cool for some people) is that dota has a massive learing curve, and that after years you still learn and get better at the game.

Ive been playing dota 2 for about a year now and you really have to commit if you want to get semi-good at it.
I see myself as having above avarage skill with the amount of games ive played, and after just more then 400 games i would still rank myself somewhere between 3 and 3.5 out of 10 compared to pros. And im proud of it :P

O yea, i wrote this guide to beginners in a post a few days ago.

If you want to play the game for a prolonged period of time and get semi-decent/good in your matchmaking pool i would follow these steps:

Step 1: Read welcome to dota 2 you suck. http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck
Everyone who gets into the game should read this.

Step 2: Play every single hero, or atleast the ones you think are interesting. If you dont play all get to know then by watching all 107 of dotacinema's hero spotlight video's that explain hero skills but not the hero themselves in about 2 minutes.
Learn the standard hero roles and pick according to that.

Step 3: Play a lot of dota. Get good at some heroes and try to play any role to some extent.

Step 4: Read a lot of guides and people's responses to them. Try to think for yourself why a certain build is better in a specific situation. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT (BLINDLY) FOLLOW THE STANDARD RECCOMENDED ITEMS IN THE GAME!!!!!11!!!!!111!
Learn basic hero synergy and why certain heroes are better in certain situations.

Step 5: Watch the competitive scene. This will help you massively in understanding the game. From items to skill builds to why a certain hero is so good in a certain situation.
I have been watching it since before the international 2013 in August and i still learn things and get better at the game from watching it.

You can stop at any step but that will mean that your progression will stall and you will hardly get better. Atleast relative to your matchmaking pool.
See for yourself how much you want to commit to dota.

Thank you for the reply! That is all very excellent advice. I have been trying to keep track of the professional scene. It was kind of a hard task to find where to watch and when, but I think I got it figured out!

Anyway, I guess the hardest part about all of this, is that I really do not have a whole ton of time to commit to DoTA 2 right now. I have two kids, work a full time job and a part time job, and I am going to school full time, so I usually only have an hour or two to play at night when everyone is in bed...otherwise I would never see my family, and they come before all else.

Anyway, I guess this is a statement and question...do you think I am lost cause? Or do you think it is just going to take me a lot longer than the average person to learn? I love what I have played so far and really want to get better, but I just don't have the time that some of the more committed players do.

Mindriot07

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » February 26, 2014 3:55pm | Report
Sure you can have a good time playing it casually, a lot of it comes down to plain intelligence, since most people dont even have the ability to think logicly and blindly follow bad guides.

If by a lost cause you mean that you will never play as a professional or way above 4000 mmr, then yes.
But if you mean can i be of service to my team and have fun? Sure! Just the fact that you made it to posting on dotafire means that you are part of a really small smart group of dota players :P

Edit: o yea, you can find most of the professional scene on the joindota or beyondthesummit youtube, or though the VOD sections on gosugamers.net and dotacinema.com

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mindriot07 » February 26, 2014 6:50pm | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

Sure you can have a good time playing it casually, a lot of it comes down to plain intelligence, since most people dont even have the ability to think logicly and blindly follow bad guides.

If by a lost cause you mean that you will never play as a professional or way above 4000 mmr, then yes.
But if you mean can i be of service to my team and have fun? Sure! Just the fact that you made it to posting on dotafire means that you are part of a really small smart group of dota players :P

Edit: o yea, you can find most of the professional scene on the joindota or beyondthesummit youtube, or though the VOD sections on gosugamers.net and dotacinema.com

LOL! Yeah, I definitely will not be a pro player, but I would like to make it to the point where I have a somewhat decent Win/Lose record. Like I said, I am a much more casual player who just thinks the game has a lot of fun to offer and, once you get passed the point of having your mother made fun of in many interesting ways, a community that is very involved with the game. I love community driven games, so that is a big plus for me.

I am hoping that I have more time for gaming after next quarter, because I will be graduating with my Bachelors on June 13th, so I wont have homework to worry about, which will free up all of my weekends for the most part.

Thank you so much for being so willing to help, I am going to really try and keep track of the pro scene and Youtube videos (I have started following PrugeGamers recently). It is fun to watch, even if I have no idea what they are talking about half the time. Last one I watched, i spent more time on the DoTA 2 wiki searching for terms that were used than actually watching the match! LOL! But, it has been interesting, and I think I will be a new addict to this genre!!!

Mindriot07

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » February 26, 2014 7:56pm | Report
Well after reading the last part of you post i know that you will be alright :P

You dont need to be good instantly. You should just try to become one of the better players in the matchmaking pool that you are playing in. Which you probably are capable of becouse of your interest in the game.

What region do you play in btw? Maybe i could help you a little.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mindriot07 » February 26, 2014 9:39pm | Report
What is the matchmaking pool? First time I have heard this term...

I am currently on the US East region. I would love to add you to Steam, if you do not mind....

Mindriot07

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved