Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Initiating questions

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Initiating questions 3 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DopeSauce » October 19, 2013 11:38am | Report
So im new to dota and all that stuff, the one real problem I am having is initiating fights. Im not really sure when to go for the stuns or not, many times I will stun then just die cause my team didnt follow up or I just die before I stun or some similar situation. For example if I am tidehunter and 2 of the enemy team is out of position should I ult hitting those two or should I wait to get the whole team, cause a lot of my problem is I do not like using the stun or whatever CC im using unless I can hit everyone but I feel like that should not be the case all the time. I just have bad judgement calls when it comes to it. Any tips?

DopeSauce

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by William » October 19, 2013 4:21pm | Report
Communication is key. Let your team know when you're going to initiate either by pinging or telling them directly.

If you're not in constant communication in voip, they can't expect to know when to follow up and if you go in alone without support you'll just get blown up before they can react.

If you can ult two people with TideHunter and guarantee two kills for your team, then it's worth doing. In some cases it's better than using it on a 5 man team in certain circumstances because it turns the next teamfight into a 5 v 3, or allows you a free push where they can't defend.

Don't panic ult though. You'll likely still end up dying and many of those important teamfight ultimates have cooldown periods that are 2-3x your respawn timer lategame.

William

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (7)
Steam: Bill
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » October 20, 2013 1:12am | Report
William wrote:

Communication is key. Let your team know when you're going to initiate either by pinging or telling them directly.

If you're not in constant communication in voip, they can't expect to know when to follow up and if you go in alone without support you'll just get blown up before they can react.

If you can ult two people with TideHunter and guarantee two kills for your team, then it's worth doing. In some cases it's better than using it on a 5 man team in certain circumstances because it turns the next teamfight into a 5 v 3, or allows you a free push where they can't defend.

Don't panic ult though. You'll likely still end up dying and many of those important teamfight ultimates have cooldown periods that are 2-3x your respawn timer lategame.

William is absolutely right.

Aside from that though, before you Initiate, you have to look at a few things:-
  • How many Allies + Opponents are here/going to get here during the fight?
  • How many Disables do my Allies and I + the Opponents have?
  • How much damage can both Teams do? and how fast can they do it?
  • Are there any other advantages? Cliffs, Roshan Pit, Haven't been noticed, etc.
  • etc.
DopeSauce wrote:

...cause a lot of my problem is I do not like using the stun, or whatever CC I'm using, unless I can hit everyone, but I feel like that should not be the case all the time.

5 man Ravages don't happen very often because if there's a Tidehunter on your Team, sensible Opponents won't cluster up to make it easy for you, so yes, don't always try to hold out. If you can get 2 kills, because you Ravaged, then it's probably worth it, just try not use your big Ulti's if you have something more Spammable that will get the same job done. 8)

The only way to know when to Initiate is to learn from past experience...and find Teammates who can follow up ;D

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved