Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Got my Beta Key, now where do I start

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Got my Beta Key, now where do I start 6 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Malaklu » November 7, 2012 5:36am | Report
Hello all! I am a current LoL player who is trying out DOTA 2 because to be frank LoL is too easy, and every match seems to play out the same. I heard that DOTA is far more complex, and from what i've seen this is indeed true. I have yet to play my first match as my key only arrived last night, so i have been reading up about the various differences between LoL and DOTA.

I understand the concept of last hitting and farming(I frequently end a 5v5 LOL match with 300+CS), denying is a new concept to me but i imagine it is similar to last hitting, just on your own creeps.

My real questions come from the game mechanics standpoint, first do hero abilities have any type of scaling off primary attributes? (strength, agility, and intelligence) or do only specific items modify abilities? Second are there different gold values for creeps? I.E. caster minions vs melee minions and cannon minions in LoL. The shop is very extensive, and i'm a little lost looking through it but that will come with experience i suppose. What is the difference between strength, agility and intel heros mechanically? (is strength more suited to the tankies, and agility to carries etc..)

I have many more questioins but this wall of text is getting too long so I will save them for later, thank you in advance for any and all help provided in general this community seem much more friendly than the one in League and i look foward to playing with/against all of you.

Malaklu

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » November 7, 2012 6:24am | Report
Welcome to DotA and DOTAFire!

Well, only some abilities are scaling off primary attributes, like Outworld Destroyer's ultimate. But mostly, no, they don't

There's an item Aghanim's Scepter that you can purchase, it boosts the ultimate only of some heroes.

Yeah, gold values are different for creeps, I'd suggest you this video that will explain you everything you need to know about gold

Strength, agility and intelligence, well, it's complicated.

Strength heroes tend to have more HP and HP regen, which makes them good tanks.
Agility tend to have more armor and more attack speed, which makes them good carries.
Intelligence heroes tend to have more mana and more damage based on spells, they can also carry, but also serve as great supports.

Well, any hero can support, carry or do anything in DotA, it just depends on the game and on the player.

I'd suggest you to watch all videos from the Learn DotA 2 series which you can find here .
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by bonly » November 10, 2012 4:41am | Report
i am from lol...i need an invite...who cound help me?

bonly

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » November 10, 2012 6:26am | Report
bonly wrote:

i am from lol...i need an invite...who cound help me?

I have an invite to give away. PM me.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xelacroix » November 14, 2012 8:33pm | Report
i never use deny. rarely

xelacroix

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » November 15, 2012 4:53am | Report
xelacroix wrote:

i never use deny. rarely

Well, it's better if you do, denying creeps means less xp and gold for your enemy, so you'll be higher level than them, more farmed than them, so you'll kill them easily.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved