Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Everything you need to know about Cleaving

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Everything you need to know about Cleaving 4 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Rigul » November 29, 2012 6:08am | Report
I made this thread in another section but thought it might be more helpful here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHpLhjn4f8c&feature=youtu.be

Basically what I did is go through all the mechanics of cleaving with actual examples to back up all my findings. Please check out the video and I will continue to make them, and feel free to message me with feedback or ideas for new videos.

So basically here are the quick notes regarding cleaves:

-All cleaves stack (most know this already). So 3 Battle Furies or more, or some other combo above 100% does more cleave damage than it does base damage.

-Cleaves go through armor. The tool tip tells us this, but it doesn't specify what that means. What I used to think it meant (as I'm sure most everyone does) is you hit Target A and you cleave for X percent of the damage done to Target A. Turns out this isn't the case. The actual cleave damage is based on the attack power of the initial hit, not the damage done to the initial target.

-Getting cleaved doesn't activate most passives as most passives require direct hits to be activated.

-You can use Quelling Blade with cleaves to increase damage on heroes

I go into much more detail in the video, so please check it out and like my channel!
Please check out my Youtube channel, subscribe, and like my videos! I'd like to turn pro one day but I need a following first >_<

http://www.youtube.com/user/RigulsRnDLabs?feature=mhee

Rigul

Steam: Rigul484
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » November 29, 2012 6:11am | Report
You could report your own thread to get moved.

But it's alright, helpful video.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AkiTsubasa » January 20, 2013 10:33pm | Report
for the cleave damage, this is my opinion
when you attack your first damage, reduce by armor for sure, you got 100 damage(as example)
65% of it cleave to other unit, even they have 100 armor, you still deal 65 damage to them, the armor only depend on your first target, so hit the one who has less armor if you using cleave damage hero

AkiTsubasa

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hermanelig » April 11, 2014 4:20am | Report
sorry for thread necroing but to clearify:

my i thought it worked like this ( 1 battlefury no cleave skills):

if you deal 100 dmg before reduction and 60 dmg on the actual target you cleave for 35 pure damage all others in the cleave area 100 * 0.35 = 35

or is it like in the post before

35% of the actual targets damage in the cleave area so 60 * 0.35 = 21 for the above example?

Hermanelig

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved