Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Confused new player here

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Confused new player here 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CommanderPC » August 26, 2013 6:05pm | Report
Hello DotA players, I'm CommanderPC. I recently started playing DotA 2. I've played MOBA's before like League of Legends and Smite but DotA seems like a different beast to me. I'm familiar with most of the concepts due to having some MOBA experience. I can last hit decently, deny(in my first game I had the most denies in the match), trade in lane, etc. But I'm just confused about the metagame. I'm not sure what type of hero goes where and who does what.

P.S: None of my friends play so if you want, you can add me on Steam so we can play. My Steam name is the same as my forum name.

CommanderPC

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » August 26, 2013 8:31pm | Report
Well, you can't really learn them by reading and asking. The best way to find out what heroes do and what they are supposed to do is playing and watching high skilled matches. :)
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Teysha » August 27, 2013 3:47am | Report
In low level pubs ideal laning is like that. One hard carry(someone needs lots of gold to be effective) goes easy lane(the long one) with a support. An offlaner goes hard lane(someone doesnt item dependant and/or with good escape tech). A caster or semi carry goes to the mid. And a jungler. But this scenario wont happen most times. But i think its ideal for low level pubs

Teysha

Steam: Teysha
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unorc » August 27, 2013 5:28am | Report
Really, Dota isnt too different from other MOBAs in terms of roles. Generally one hard carry with a support in the easy lane (bot for Radiant, Top for Dire), a hero with more survivability in the offlane ( Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, and Weaver are all good choices, a ganker or semi-carry mid ( Pudge, Zeus, Necrolyte, and in low level pubs Drow Ranger) and a jungler, like Lifestealer. But normally your teammates will randomly associate lanes, in low level pubs where you're alone I wouldn't pick a hard carry simply because there's no coordination and they end up screwing up farm.

If you want some help, you can add me on steam and I'll play some matches with you.

Unorc

Notable (1)
Steam: UNORC
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CommanderPC » August 27, 2013 1:01pm | Report
Oh alright. So the team composition setup is practically the same? That's good since I'll be expecting something similar.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll definitely be watching matches to see what different heroes do and pick up some techniques(same as when I play League. I just watch pros and emulate)

CommanderPC

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Tyerker » August 29, 2013 9:13am | Report
So the jungle, for all intents and purposes, makes a tri-lane on the easy side? Doesn't that leave the hard lane kind of exposed? Should the jungler always have a TP to help out the hard lane?

Tyerker

Notable (2)
Steam: Tyerker
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SkyStormSpectre » August 29, 2013 9:25am | Report
The purpose of the hardlaner/offlaner is to try and leech as much exp and gold as possible without dying. Mostly he's there to stop the enemy tri-lane from insta-pushing the tower. Usually you coordinate ganks with the supports from bot lane, and mid, to help shut down the farm of the enemy hard carry.

SkyStormSpectre

Remarkable (22)
Steam: 5K|SkyyStørm
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved