Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Ideas for some minor Matchmaking Changes

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Ideas for some minor Matchmaking Changes 1 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » February 29, 2016 7:11pm | Report
It's the eternal discussion, how to make ranked play "better." There's been countless arguments on the subject, some have been here on Dotafire, others on r/dota2, but none have provided legit ideas. I however think that some minor changes here and there could not only improve the average Dota 2 player's ranked expirience, but also improve your quality of life!

Anti-Frustration Feature
Taking a page from Hearthstone’s book, there should a certain point where if you’re ranked at a certain point (For hearthstone, it’s Rank 20), you cannot lose rank regardless of how much you lose. So in Dota’s case, let’s say this number is 2K MMR. So if you were to calibrate at 1.2K, you can work your way up to 2K while having a 54% win rate without Tilting or losing your marbles. New players get to feel like they're improving and Valve doesn’t lose players to frustration, it’s a win-win.

Ranks that Sound Interesting!
I dunno about you but 5K, 2.5K and the like doesn’t sound as cool as “Diamond 5” or “Super Platinum” from that one game Janitsu plays. We can keep the current MMR system, let’s just make it look prettier and give players something to push for other than a bland number.

Seasons
Now hear me out, because this isn’t a recalibration proposal, it’s something different. At the end of each season, there should some kind of reward things (Like how you get exclusive card backs for achieving a certain rank in Hearthstone) that are determined by how you did in ranked play for that season. Dota however, has the luxury of having multiple cosmetic outlets, from HUD displays to item sets to couriers and also trophies. For example, if you managed to climb from 2.1K to 3.3K in a single season, you could receive a special trophy or that cowboy Ursa set to show off to your theoretical friends (those who gain 1.7K+ MMR have a 17% chance to get either an Arcana or a Bzz Pugna set).

Granted, they're not wholesale changes to the system, rather it's a way to keep the game enjoyable, give players more incentive to improve and makes the game a bit more appealing to people wanting to try Dota 2.

Tell me what you guys think of changes such a these. I just might refine these ideas and don't be afraid to add any of your own to the discussion, so long as it isn't about changing the system as a whole.

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved