Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

History of the Vanguard

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » General Discussion » History of the Vanguard 21 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by dota2expert » May 19, 2014 4:51pm | Report
The 'Vanguard', otherwise known as 'vanguard', is a unique item in Dota 2. Implemented through C++(according to some research of my own), it's considered one of the best items in the game for several reasons.
Firstly, its price is definitely worth it. When put on Lich, he always gets 0.9 mana regen and, depending on his level, about 6 health regen. One of the best aspects of this that it doesn't count as an iten slot. This means that on Lone Druid, instead of 12 iten slots, you can accomplish the ridiculous number of 14.
Secondly, it's one of the best items for supports. As you know, most supports have melee AND ranged fourms, such as Terrorblade and Troll warlord. Though Vanguard is not as effective on such heroes, it should always be bought on Axe when he is picked to counter magic nukers. However, a special mention MUST go out to IO. It gives him mana regen, durability and reduces his ult's cooldown.
Thirdly, it's a great mid to lategame item. In this way, it's much like Midas. The only difference is that Vanguard works in both mid AND lategame, while midas on works in the lategame.
Lastly, it stacks with other vanguards, according to the dota 2 wiki. This means that having 2 vanguards gives you a 160% chance of blocking 80 damage. How good is that huh?
In conclusion, I think Vanguard should be nerfed. Alternatives to it, such as Boots of Travel and Mask of Madness, are at least two times as expensive and fail to reach its level of power.
[EDIT] Some fourm noobs think its funny to say im a troll so it got locked..

dota2expert

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mastadoom » May 19, 2014 4:55pm | Report
Are you on drugs? 3/4 of this info isn't even correct.

mastadoom

Notable (7)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by dota2expert » May 19, 2014 4:58pm | Report
Are YOU on drugs? I spent time researching and making sure all of this is correct. And if you don't like Vanguards, you shouldn't have gone on this post anyway.. e.e

dota2expert

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mastadoom » May 19, 2014 5:03pm | Report
no, i mean vanguard doesn't give mana regen, also blocks don't stack, each vanguard has a separate 80% chance to proc, that doesn't mean you have 160% block chance, it also means that the block is still only 40, not 80. It also takes up an item slot, so you can not be a 14 sloted Lone Druid. You then said "Secondly, it's one of the best items for supports. As you know, most supports have melee AND ranged fourms, such as Terrorblade and Troll warlord." just so you know, those are both carries. Then onto IO, it doesn't decress his ults CD.

You also say that boots of travel and MoM are more expensive than it, and are alternatives to it.... like what?

mastadoom

Notable (7)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by dota2expert » May 19, 2014 5:21pm | Report
Excuse me...? Can you read?

dota2expert

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mastadoom » May 19, 2014 5:24pm | Report
I can, what of it?

mastadoom

Notable (7)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FearsomeClarinet » May 19, 2014 5:26pm | Report
Uhh, yeah, honestly your entire post is ridiculous. In WHAT way are boots of travel or MoM even remotely close to Vanguard. Also you say "As you know, most supports have melee AND ranged fourms, such as Terrorblade and Troll warlord." those are both carries and i believe they are the only heroes that have melee and ranged forms. There are like 110 heroes in dota, and a large portion of them are supports. In WHAT way do most of them have melee and ranged forms?

FearsomeClarinet

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by shahmaty » May 19, 2014 5:35pm | Report
+1 very informative

shahmaty

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mastadoom » May 19, 2014 5:37pm | Report
shahmaty wrote:

+1 very informative

Who is imformative? me and fearsomeclarinet, or OP?

mastadoom

Notable (7)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by dota2expert » May 19, 2014 5:37pm | Report
I'm informative, you idiot. I made the post.

dota2expert

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved