Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Require comments for downvotes?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Support » Require comments for downvotes? 3 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Stoli » November 28, 2011 2:41am | Report
Upvotes are just a nod of agreement.. but if you are going to say something is wrong, shouldn't you justify it or explain why it's wrong if the goal is contributing, improving the quality of guides by sorting them out through voting?

I have no comments/no negative comments with 3 downvotes on my guides, so it is because of my own results, but are there any guide creators here who wouldn't appreciate this requirement? It's a feature; require reasoning for a negative review.

edit: also, I think a /10 rather than yes or no rating system would be ideal.

edit2: hmm am I just confused about how this works? I just upvoted a guide, and it has:
57%
1 VOTES

How can one (positive) vote be 57%? ^^

Stoli

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FlashJ » November 28, 2011 4:08pm | Report
We have tried commenting to vote on MOBAFire and all it does is create MORE drama and retaliatory voting/harassing. Good people stop voting out of fear of retaliation and we end up with nothing but up votes by fan boyz and authors harassing voters to change their negative votes. Trolls are gonna troll and it happens to everyone. In the end over time it equals out on everyone. If you feel someone is cheating the system by multi-voting with duplicate accounts report it. But we have pretty strong checks in place for that as well.

We use a formula (bayesian estimate) that weighs votes depending on how many a guide has. This prevents a guide that has one vote from being 100%. It represents "accuracy" in the score. If you have 2 votes and both are positive is the guide really worthy of 100% score? Chances are its the writers friends who voted and scoring takes this into account. If a score is 87% with 2000 votes its much more probable that it deserves the 87% and so you will see it much closer to 87% than 50%. 50% is the baseline for any new guide. The same forumula works on the way down. If two people vote a guide down it won't suddenly be rated 0%.

Its a formula used a lot on the net to allow new content to compete with old, established content.
"Did the primary buffer panel just fall off my goram ship!?" -- MR

FlashJ
<Administrator>

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Leech » November 28, 2011 4:20pm | Report
FlashJ wrote:

We have tried commenting to vote on MOBAFire and all it does is create MORE drama and retaliatory voting/harassing. Good people stop voting out of fear of retaliation and we end up with nothing but up votes by fan boyz and authors harassing voters to change their negative votes. Trolls are gonna troll and it happens to everyone. In the end over time it equals out on everyone. If you feel someone is cheating the system by multi-voting with duplicate accounts report it. But we have pretty strong checks in place for that as well.

We use a formula (bayesian estimate) that weighs votes depending on how many a guide has. This prevents a guide that has one vote from being 100%. It represents "accuracy" in the score. If you have 2 votes and both are positive is the guide really worthy of 100% score? Chances are its the writers friends who voted and scoring takes this into account. If a score is 87% with 2000 votes its much more probable that it deserves the 87% and so you will see it much closer to 87% than 50%. 50% is the baseline for any new guide. The same forumula works on the way down. If two people vote a guide down it won't suddenly be rated 0%.

Its a formula used a lot on the net to allow new content to compete with old, established content.

I was with Stoli, until I read this. It makes sense on both levels why the system is the way it is. Well said.

Leech

Remarkable (25)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved