Steel Wins Battles, Gold Wins Wars (7.06)

June 22, 2017 by Alien Righteousness

knight96-1994 (2) | May 2, 2017 1:07pm
Great guide. I appreciate playing DK but I never shined at all. A couple of tips are actually very very interesting.
Well written, well formatted
Alien Righteousness (1) | May 15, 2017 11:14pm
Really appreciate that. Would be interested in hearing what in particular you found interesting. Do check out the new comments I added on ancients stacking, as of 7.06. I think Davion received a huge buff through neutrals spawning every one minute.
JuanJD | April 5, 2017 5:58am
Great job man! I really love DK so I aprecciate the effort you make to keep this guide updated.
Alien Righteousness (1) | April 5, 2017 8:51pm
I appreciate it. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. I'm always up for discussing my favorite hero.
Sesleri | March 6, 2017 10:16am
Awesome guide thanks for this.
Mowen (16) | January 4, 2017 11:10am
BTW it would be good to add the levels you pick talents at to your skill selection. Instead of leaving it blank you can indicate to players to pick a talent at that level. :)
Alien Righteousness (1) | January 6, 2017 7:25pm
Added. Thanks.
kianmir | July 9, 2016 5:15am
I wanted to say your guide is great. but last game i went a mid build vs invoker. my build was Treads>HoTD>Maelstorm>Hyperstone>Mjo>second hyperstone>AC>bkb (by the time the game was finished). yes i know i was vs invoker and i died once purely to his combo.. but... honestly their "huge" stunner i mean ogre magi had left the game already and invoker simply couldn't land a 5-man tornado... and the only stun he has is the tornado really (cold snap doesn't count its a mini-stun) and i simply dominated them with my attackspeed. this build would even get into the late-game if a daedalus was built because carries simply can't hold such strong crits every 2-3 seconds. i ended the game with the best stats in the form of 11/4/4 (it was a 35 min game.. i could reach 20+ kills if it was a longer game)
Alien Righteousness (1) | July 16, 2016 2:57pm
Thanks for the comment and congrats on the win. You must have had VERY high GPM to afford those items in 35 min. Based on your build I have one strong suggestion and a couple of minor suggestion:

1. I strongly recommend you build BKB earlier against Invoker. He has only one spell that pierces spell immunity (Sun Strike), which means he can do nothing but right-click in most team fights since he usually dumps all of this main spells at once. Casters like Invoker are also stronger in the early and mid game, since their spell damage scales poorly, therefore you effectively bought your BKB when it was least relevant.

2. DK doesn't have any attack modifiers that proc, therefore attack speed really isn't that great on him in and of itself. Mjollnir is worth building because it provides more AOE to your attack *and* that AOE damage is magical. Therefore, it is good against illusion heroes as well as high armor heroes. Were you against such heroes? If not, this build might have been a waste. Personally I would recommended Crystalis over Hyperstone. Between Mjollnir and AC your crits will proc quite often.

3. Why did you build HOTD? If not to stack ancients, I would strongly recommend you get Armlet instead. It is basically core on DK these days, now that it grants +4 armor when active. DK's base damage is pretty low for a carry, so Armlet gives you the extra punch you need to really impact the early and mid game.

Just some things to chew on. If you feel comfortable with your build, then I'm not going to tell to stop using it. It is a pretty cool magic-damage build since Mjollnir is proc'ing so often. Maybe you should call it "Puff the Magic Dragon" :D
Tshirt | June 20, 2016 1:56am
Dragon Knight rocks, is one of the best tank ever

Comment has been deleted

Alien Righteousness (1) | February 4, 2016 6:38pm
Crucial Dude wrote:

Awesome guide - just add Terrorblade to the heroes with a melee and ranged attack.

Good catch! Done!
Crucial Dude | February 3, 2016 10:10pm
Alien Righteousness (1) | January 12, 2016 5:55pm
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Concerning Radiance --- I failed to consider the farming benefits. I will do some testing and update my guide.

Edit: Now that I've built Radiance in a few games, I've updated my comments on it.
Cuttleboss (25) | January 12, 2016 10:39am
Pretty good guide overall, with most of being on point. I can give some input on the items you have not tested, since I've tried many DK builds.

Hand of Midas: Good for going into late game, everything about it is good for DK, attack speed (the thing he needs the most to deal damage), bonus farm, and it helps him get to level 16 and also use his massive stat gain. However, problem lies in its timing. If you're mid, you need to get Bottle and Boots first, so getting it at a decent time is almost impossible unless you're against Pudge, and getting it mid can heavily limit your team's midgame strength. However, for safelane DK, I highly recommend it, as it gives him what he needs to not fall behind in farm.

Blade Mail: I never get this. DK does not have a big health pool, he reduces physical damage, so Blade Mail damage reflected is rather low, unless its magical. However, DK gets more dangerous the longer he survives (more splash, more stuns), so it is within his interest to either go BKB or to get strength items, since he also has a need for damage.

Radiance: A very powerful item on DK. He also does not need to rush it, where getting it as a 2nd or 3rd core item is fine. It boosts his farming a lot, and makes him very tanky towards attackers. Notably, he gets full benefits from both its bonus damage and its burn effect, since he's a tanky right clicker who is kite resistant. It makes your survival even more dangerous, but beware of burst damage. If you're tanky enough to survive the enemy, this item is a nightmare for them.

Octarine Core: This item is pretty good as a 5-6th slot. Early usage is rather limited. It gives a heal for his splash attacks, but if paired with Radiance and/or Mjollnir, you can actually get solid sustain from it in teamfights. The spell buffs it gives are nice too, since it gives mana to almost spam Breathe Fire, and as a late game mana regen item, this and Linkens are the top choices for DK, since this also makes you Dragon Tail on a 6.75 cd. Only downside is the lack of damage given by this item.

Here was a game where I used Midas and Radiance. The Octarine pickup was at the end. http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2065511523
Himgirish | January 11, 2017 4:09am
-_- Blade mail reflects dmg before reduction and DK does have big health pool around 2.5 to 3k .
Alien Righteousness (1) | January 4, 2016 4:27pm
Hi Zetsuna. Thanks for sharing your opinion. Here is mine:
  • I go into great depth on items, skills, and gameplay, so I have to disagree that my guide is "just a review about pros and cons".
  • I mention several times in my guide how it is often beneficial to put a second point in Dragon Blood before level 6.
  • The "Minimizing Weaknesses: Magic" section explains why Pipe of Insight usually isn't as beneficial as strength gain items.
  • Abyssal Blade's bash procs only 10% of the time on ranged heroes. Davion's attack speed isn't stellar and he should be in dragon form (ranged) while fighting. For 6750 gold I think you can do a lot better.

Have fun!