D2L Picks and Bans, Loda's Tusk, and Aui's Slardar

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » eSports » D2L Picks and Bans, Loda's Tusk, and Aui's Slardar 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Alan LaFleur » January 13, 2014 10:23pm | Report

The Dota 2 League had its grand finals in Las Vegas last week. The finals pitted Alliance, Fnatic, LGD Gaming, and Vici Gaming against each other as they battled for the 1st place prize of $25,000. There were 17 matches played in total and I want to go over the heroes that were most popular in the drafts. I'll be honest, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you why certain heroes are more popular or if a hero is popular because they are a direct response to another popular hero. I'm going to give you the information and you can decipher it how you see fit.

Top 5 Picked and Banned

Hero
Alchemist
Venomancer
Visage
Dragon Knight
Enchantress
Percentage
100%
100%
100%
94%
94%

Alchemist, Venomancer, and Visage drew either a pick or a ban in all 17 games; Dragon Knight and Enchantress were right there with them. It is obvious that both the western and eastern teams believe that these picks are very strong. Coming in not far behind was Io and Crystal Maiden at 88%.

Banning Phase

Top 5 Banned

Hero
Alchemist
Enchantress
Venomancer
Io
Pugna
Percentage
88%
82%
59%
47%
47%

First Ban Phase

Hero
Alchemist
Enchantress
Venomancer
Io
Nature's Prophet
Visage
Doom
Dragon Knight
Clockwerk
Elder Titan
Times Banned

Second Ban Phase (>= 3 times)

Hero
Pugna
Outworld Devourer
Chen
Timbersaw
Nyx Assassin
Elder Titan
Crystal Maiden
Gyrocopter
Storm Spirit
Weaver
Clockwerk
Times Banned

Third Ban Phase (>= 2 times)

Hero
Lifestealer
Timbersaw
Kunkka
Mirana
Rubick
Storm Spirit
Times Banned

I found it interesting that throughout the finals tournament, Pugna and Outworld Devourer found themselves in the second ban phase 42% of the time but never moved up to the first ban phase. At the same time, they were both only picked once in the first pick phase. With that said, as you'll see later, Pugna definitely earned the bans as the hero won all of the games he was featured. While one could make a case that Outworld Devourer's powerlevel was misunderstood since he had the worst performance of any hero with zero wins in five attempts and at the hands of all four teams.

Also, it seems that the Venomancer ban was well worth it as Lesale had six wins over seven games. Another top performer, this time in the second ban phase, was Crystal Maiden. Rylai boasted a 64% win percentage over 11 games and was the winningest hero in the finals with seven wins.

Picks

Top 5 Total Picks

Hero
Dragon Knight
Crystal Maiden
Visage
Doom
Rubick
Percentage
71%
65%
65%
47%
47%

First Pick Phase (>= 4 times)

Hero
Crystal Maiden
Visage
Doom
Venomancer
Dragon Knight
Chen
Nature's Prophet
Io
Times Picked

Second Pick Phase (>= 3 times)

Hero
Rubick
Clockwerk
Dragon Knight
Storm Spirit
Elder Titan
Outworld Devourer
Luna
Visage
Bristleback
Death Prophet
Times Picked

Third Pick Phase (>=2 times)

Hero
Kunkka
Luna
Slardar
Necrophos
Elder Titan
Shadow Fiend
Dragon Knight
Times Picked

The first phase is obviously what all four teams thought was really strong but not strong enough to put into the first ban phase. We already talked about Crystal Maiden and Venomancer had a good showing at D2L but how did Visage and Doom do? Visage had a little over a 50% win percentage with six wins and five losses. Doom was right at 50% with four wins and losses.

The second phase was really interesting as it showed that teams held Rubick and Clockwerk in high regard. While Clockwerk was getting picked because he escaped the second ban phase, Rubick never had a ban targeted at him in the second phase but teams would ban him if he made it past the second pick phase.

The third phase is, of course, where teams brought out the hidden cards up their sleeve. Aui_2000 brought out Slardar that absolutely destroyed Vici in the Losers Final. Alliance brought out a very effective Tusk in the last picking phase of the opening game of the finals against Vici. Fnatic brought out Shadow Fiend as a surprise pick for Demon that he was able to take over the game with as he went 2-0 on the hero at the LAN.

Alliance's Tusk

Loda brought out a carry Tusk against Vici Gaming in the first series of the game. The lineups looked like this:
Alliance (R)
Vici (D)
Dragon Knight
Clockwerk
Treant Protector
Venomancer
Tusk
Outworld Devourer
Io
Chen
Viper
Luna

He started the game in the short lane in an aggressive trilane against the duo lane of Vici with Chen babysitting from the jungle. Alliance took over the laning phase early with Tusk destroying Sylar's Luna. Alliance were able to secure the first blood on Sylar just after the 1st minute.

Starting items: 4 Tangos, Healing Salve, Stout Shield, 2 Iron Branches

By 6:15 they had already killed Vici's Fenrir and Sylar three times each and Loda was 3/0/3 with Phase Boots. He quickly worked his way to a Vanguard by grabbing the Vitality Booster soon after the boots. He finished the item at 9:20 which is 6 minutes faster than his normal Vanguard timing.

Alliance took their lane advantage and pushed towers down with impunity around 12 to 14 minutes in the game. Alliance had all of Vici's tier one towers down. Vici knew they couldn't do anything because their supports were such a low-level and their carry only had Power Treads and a Bracer.

Loda quickly started building a Black King Bar, starting with the Ogre Club. He also picked up a Cloak for the extra defense so they could continue to take the fight to Vici. He finished up the BKB by 19 minutes, around the time when Akke bought a Blink Dagger and Viper finished an Aghanim's Scepter. A minute later, Vici threw in the towel.

Loda's Final Build:

Skill Build:
Frozen Sigil Frozen Sigil Frozen Sigil Frozen Sigil
Q
E
Q
W
Q
R
Q
E
E
E
R

Aui_2000's Slardar

The standins for Fnatic brought their 'A' game with Demon on Shadow Fiend and Aui_2000 on Slardar. Fnatic sent a trilane to the bottom lane where they were matched up against rOtK's Nature's Prophet. The lineups looked like this:
Fnatic (R)
Vici (D)
Venomancer
Nature's Prophet
Io
Nyx Assassin
Shadow Fiend
Visage
Bristleback
Rubick
Slardar
Luna

Aui started with Slithereen Crush and a Stout Shield, 4 Tangos, and 2 Iron Branches. He bought boots as quickly as he could. Vici was much more active in the early game picking up early kills on Trixi and Demon but the supports of Fnatic were doing a fantastic job of creating space for Aui to quickly farm up a Blink Dagger which he finished at 7:20 and quickly jumped on a level 4 Nature's Prophet. This was Aui's fastest blink dagger by over three minutes, still a couple of minutes behind the 5 minute fastest time set by Brax in March of 2013 in the G-League.

After the Blink Dagger, Fnatic got a lot more active and over the next 10 minutes picked up 10 kills to take the lead in kills. Aui's next item would be a Black King Bar that he would finish around 16:45. The blink plus BKB combined with IO's Relocate was a recipe for chaos that Vici didn't have an answer for especially since Nature's Prophet was so crippled and couldn't split push because Aui would destroy him. They continued to dial-up the pressure with Aui diving into fights which allowed Demon to destroy Vici from the outside of the fight. Vici surrendered around 21 minute mark.

Aui's Final Build:

Skill Build:
Sprint Sprint Sprint Sprint
Bash Bash Bash
Amplify Damage Amplify Damage
W
Q
W
Q
W
R
W
Q
Q
E
R
E
E

At the end of it all, LGD took the $25,000 back to China with a well played tournament. A true Cinderella story, Fnatic made it into the finals despite playing with two standins and being knocked into the losers bracket in the first round. This is probably the last time you'll see the LGD roster in their current state with Xiao8 expected to leave for the dream team. Fnatic on the other hand will be in Kiev this weekend playing in the Starladder finals playing against Na'Vi, Alliance, and Sigma.int for a prize pool totaling $133,000 with first getting $61.6k. There is still time to get the Dota TV ticket where $2.50 will go towards the prize pool. Beyond The Summit will provide the English broadcast for the tournament starting Friday, January 17th, at 15:00 CET/9:00 EST.

This article is DOTAFire testing the waters to see if there is interest in eSports content. I run the eSports Central section on MOBAFire.com but would love to gather a team of writers on DOTAFire to cover competitive Dota. If interested in writing for DOTAFire, send me a PM.

Alan LaFleur

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » January 14, 2014 3:56am | Report
Pretty awesome post man, I'll move it to the eSports section though, please post such threads there!
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Distinguished (276)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » January 14, 2014 4:42am | Report
You need to edit the Aui part, it's Slardar, not Slark.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » January 14, 2014 5:15am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

You need to edit the Aui part, it's Slardar, not Slark.

This.

I'm not surprised about the Slardar skill and item build (though I prefer picking an early point in Bash because I always get lucky bashes :D), that's the best way to use him after the rework of Sprint. Now, this skill is really strong and makes this Hero suitable for the current meta full of armor reduction ( Visage, Bristleback, Alchemist and multiple Dazzle picks in other tournaments) and racecar Heroes; he also synergizes well with both Shadow Fiend because of armor reduction and Io for obvious reasons. Ganking the Nature's Prophet is also the best way to counter him, especially if you can grant vision inside his Sprout with Amplify Damage.

As for Tusk, finally some players start going for Vanguards! I think it's a worthy item if gotten before 15 minutes, especially - as I always say - for Heroes that need to tower dive in order to get kills. Maybe he should've gone for damage items, since Tusk is not the aura-carrier kind of mid and his ulti scales esponentially with damage, but as he decdided to focus on killing supports I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm also a bit confused about maxing out Frozen Sigil before the Snowball, but I can't deny its slow is really underrated.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Alan LaFleur » January 14, 2014 8:15am | Report
Thanks guys, I had a feeling my fingers were going to do that and I wouldn't catch it while editing. Sorry about the tables, our design people are trying to fix them. They worked perfectly before I hit publish :(

Alan LaFleur

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » January 14, 2014 9:01am | Report
Vanguard would be better if it were able to be disassembled. Still, not a bad item if picked up early, makes for a huge tower diving potential.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » January 14, 2014 10:51am | Report
Atlas wrote:

Vanguard would be better if it were able to be disassembled. Still, not a bad item if picked up early, makes for a huge tower diving potential.

Agreed, especially on Timbersaw: Vanguard + Arcanes would become a pretty common build for any Bloodstone carrier, from ranged Heroes to melees. Illusion-proccing Heroes that need survivability like PL would benefit from it too: early lane sustainability thanks to the Ring of Health and the possibility to turn the Vanguard into a Heart of Tarrasque.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DibsMid » January 14, 2014 8:57pm | Report
Great post. Great great post. Only thing I can ask for is if anyone has the links to the games he is talking about. The one with the Tusk and the one with the Slardar.

DibsMid

Notable (6)
Steam: DibsMid
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Alan LaFleur » January 15, 2014 8:28am | Report
DibsMid wrote:

Great post. Great great post. Only thing I can ask for is if anyone has the links to the games he is talking about. The one with the Tusk and the one with the Slardar.

Here you go, you can find all of the matches here: http://www.youtube.com/user/D2LGGtv

Alliance vs Vici - Tusk Game

Fnatic vs Vici - Slardar Game

Alan LaFleur

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DibsMid » January 15, 2014 2:09pm | Report
Danks bradah. Get that +Rep

DibsMid

Notable (6)
Steam: DibsMid
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved