28 Votes

Analyzing competitive plays with Nyx Assassin, by Peppo_o'Paccio

March 7, 2014 by Peppo_oPaccio
Comments: 18    |    Views: 103820    |   


Quick Comment

You need to log in before commenting.

[-] Collapse All Comments

Sort Comments By
1
[-]
Pain And Gain | April 11, 2015 6:07pm
i really find out that this guide is very usefull...im start using Nyx last week so i've to learn more 'bout him....
1
[-]
Smuggels (82) | October 9, 2014 2:54am
Hey dude love the guide and love the fact that you do all of them so ******** well!!!

one thing though:

you say
Quote=Peppo_oPaccio
Spiked Carapace is often overlooked, but it's surely as effective as Nyx's other skills: the damage reflection may seem "selfish" for a support, but you forgot the best part which is a stun that lasts more than the one from Impale when both skills are maxed out!
/Quote

this isnt true.

a fully maxed impale lasts for 3.29 seconds (factoring in the "lift" time)

where as Spiked Carapace only lasts for 2.4 at max level.

apart from that ......EPIC GUIDE!!!
1
[-]
BrecMadak | October 9, 2014 2:18am
Great guide Peppo, +1
But you could leave a prioritized build room - Carapace and Impale particularly early. That is to underestimate Nyx's most powerful skill by delaying it to skill so late. For a skill that consumes only 40 mana with the potential baiting like hell on top of that Impaling the enemy afterwards is considered a major advantage over others already. Like 3 Impale 2 Carapace and Vendetta by level 6, which I usually go like that, effective both in solo or trilane since stun duration increases quite well by then, and would be useful for your teammates to finish off enemy team in addition.

Would you consider updating the guide for current ?
1
[-]
TavTavio | April 8, 2014 7:02am
Man your guides are so sexy can you make one for Lanaya?
1
[-]
Diocanato (2) | March 9, 2014 10:33pm
Hi Peppo, wonderful guide as usual.
I really enjoy support roles and I think this is one of the most satisfying one, due to is active role in ganking and his item independence.
I think that this part...
Quoted:
I've seen some teams running Anub'arak with just Arcane Boots, Magic Wand and Blink Dagger, but you will quickly run out of mana unless you have a high level.

... has been written before the 6.80 changelog. So obviously now I have to ask, do you think a full set of urn, boots and stick is necessary to run this amazing hero?
1
[-]
lespaulio | February 17, 2014 5:19am
Great guide. Thank you!
1
[-]
Peppo_oPaccio (70) | March 4, 2013 12:52pm
Yep, I see Nyx being ran in mid lane even without Dagon at all: just Ghost Scepter and Blink Dagger or items like that, but, as this build is used a lot by pub players and has been used many times in professional matches, I think I'll leave it as it is.
Thanks for the suggestions, though!
1
[-]
jus.plain.me | March 4, 2013 7:40am



Thanks a lot for this, I'll probably write something under the description of the Dagon. If you're wondering, I prefer to take three recipes first because you can still have some nuke power even after spending 2000-3000 gold: if you decide to buy an Ethereal Blade, on the contrary, you'll be stuck with 400 damage for a lot of time.



I agree that the mere 1300 recipe is tempting, however I think, as Nyx is slowly being played more and more, more people are learning to adapt and learning how to correctly counter him. For this reason, I like to take the ghost scepter route, if however the opponents are still trying to solo push without reliable escapes feel free to dagon it up, eblade or not they're probs going to die. However it's incredibly difficult to initiate a 5 man team when sentries are up and ghost scepter will undoubtedly help when your carapace is on CD. And as a support 400 dmg is plenty as long as you initiate with sufficient back up.
1
[-]
Peppo_oPaccio (70) | March 1, 2013 12:49pm
jus.plain.me wrote:

V nice guide, I was wondering when a support nyx guide was coming out since it seems to be happening more and more. I recently did the maths concerning the toss up between dagon 5 v eblade but I see that you've opted for stopping at dagon 3 and so may not apply, but the following information may be useful nonetheless and you may appreciate this for future knowledge.

A nyx with no added agi aside from his own growth (2.2) and eblade at lvl 16 is 94.2. Therefore eblade will do 263.4. The extra 40% from his attacks including a dagon lvl 1 (322) is 585.4 which is already higher than what an extra 4 levels of dagon give you. Also note that the int level for mana burn that I used was for PA who has the lowest int gain of 1 at lvl 16 which is 29 and so this value is the LOWEST possible and can increase much higher on ints.

TLDR: extra dmg from eblade at 16 with lvl 1 dagon = 585. Extra dmg from lvl 1 to lvl 5 dagon = 400.


Thanks a lot for this, I'll probably write something under the description of the Dagon. If you're wondering, I prefer to take three recipes first because you can still have some nuke power even after spending 2000-3000 gold: if you decide to buy an Ethereal Blade, on the contrary, you'll be stuck with 400 damage for a lot of time.

So, if you don't get that much gold after some time (which is fairly difficult in competitive matches, hence why Dagon is preferred) it's clearly not worth it. Nevertheless, +rep for your maths. :D
1
[-]
jus.plain.me | February 28, 2013 4:57am
V nice guide, I was wondering when a support nyx guide was coming out since it seems to be happening more and more. I recently did the maths concerning the toss up between dagon 5 v eblade but I see that you've opted for stopping at dagon 3 and so may not apply, but the following information may be useful nonetheless and you may appreciate this for future knowledge.

A nyx with no added agi aside from his own growth (2.2) and eblade at lvl 16 is 94.2. Therefore eblade will do 263.4. The extra 40% from his attacks including a dagon lvl 1 (322) is 585.4 which is already higher than what an extra 4 levels of dagon give you. Also note that the int level for mana burn that I used was for PA who has the lowest int gain of 1 at lvl 16 which is 29 and so this value is the LOWEST possible and can increase much higher on ints.

TLDR: extra dmg from eblade at 16 with lvl 1 dagon = 585. Extra dmg from lvl 1 to lvl 5 dagon = 400.
1
[-]
Peppo_oPaccio (70) | February 22, 2013 5:51am
That's what I was going to do, xCO2: I'll probably finish the other build by today or tomorrow, depending on my spare time.
1
[-]
xCO2 (72) | February 22, 2013 5:14am

...


The way I see it, is that competitively there are two roles he plays, hard support and kill-lane support. I just think it'd be beneficial to show off the alternative popular kill-lane Dagon role, since this will probably be the first or second rated Nyx guide. You do have unlimited build tabs, why not? :)
1
[-]
Peppo_oPaccio (70) | February 22, 2013 4:46am
xCO2 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I think what I said came off as the opposite of what I intended it too. Often times people think that you HAVE to continue upgrading it for it to be effective, but I really see no point in upgrading it past level 3 until really late game.


I agree on this, probably Dagon can be viable if you want some burst damage and can be an effective choice if you buy a Ghost Scepter (for escaping) between the second or third level: the real problem is that more often than not competitive Nyx Assassin players end up very low on gold, so it's almost never picked when supporting.


xCO2 wrote:

I find that unless they have an Int carry or Medusa that you only need a single point in your Mana Burn. Literally the only benefit gained from upgrading it is the cooldown, and it really puts a strain on you with the extra mana cost. Most the time you'll be spamming Carapace to counter dives, interrupt ganks on your carry, and harass enemies with skill shots.


Right, I should probably swap this skill build with the alternative one.


xCO2 wrote:

Edit: A good section to include would be one on assassination combos.


Thanks for this suggestion, I think I'll add it straight after the mid/ganking build. :D
1
[-]
xCO2 (72) | February 21, 2013 3:54pm



You're right, fixed it.
About the Dagon: I don't really think it fits well with this build, but I can add it between the situationals I think; also, I've added the Ethereal Blade as a late-game item but I'll add the description later.


Thanks for the reply, I think what I said came off as the opposite of what I intended it too. Often times people think that you HAVE to continue upgrading it for it to be effective, but I really see no point in upgrading it past level 3 until really late game. Generally my build goes:

Null Talisman - Arcane - Urn /or/ Dagon - Drum /or/ Necro /or/ Ghost - Dagon - Dagon - Necro 2 - Ethreal /or/ Dagon - Ect...and then have your alternative skill build, but with Carapace at level 3.

I find that unless they have an Int carry or Medusa that you only need a single point in your Mana Burn. Literally the only benefit gained from upgrading it is the cooldown, and it really puts a strain on you with the extra mana cost. Most the time you'll be spamming Carapace to counter dives, interrupt ganks on your carry, and harass enemies with skill shots.

Edit: A good section to include would be one on assassination combos. A good example would be to make sure the area is de-warded, then check the enemy inventory, and if its safe execute: Ult (Prior to picking someone off, wait until you are about 2-3 seconds until it wears off), Auto-attack, Stun, Ethereal /or/ Mana Burn, Mana Burn /or/ Dagon, Mana Burn, Ult /then/ run.
1
[-]
Peppo_oPaccio (70) | February 21, 2013 1:37pm
xCO2 wrote:

First paragraph of Vendetta, I believe you wrote Tread instead of Treat.


You're right, fixed it.
About the Dagon: I don't really think it fits well with this build, but I can add it between the situationals I think; also, I've added the Ethereal Blade as a late-game item but I'll add the description later.
1
[-]
xCO2 (72) | February 21, 2013 12:23pm
Mirror wrote:

I finally see a Nyx guild without Dagon! Nothing ageist player that get Dagon (xCO2) but the times I see Dagon in competitive is nothing when compared to when the get support items. My view of the competitive scene in probably limited however since I mostly watch the Chinese teams.

I love your competitive guilds and I hope to see more +1


I think the misconception with Dagon is that you need to level it up and build nothing else. There are a lot of times where I've opted out for the other said items, mostly either a Jango or a Necro, but I don't see why you shouldn't get a Dagon if the potential is there.

Once he's out of the laning phase, Nyx is adept in singling out roamers, especially since he's going out of lane to ward. You really don't need anything higher then Dagon lvl 3. My general build is to get Arcane Boots as fast as possible, and unless my kill lane was going terrible, I get my Dagon, followed by my Jango.

If we have a hard support, I essentially am building Redefinder's guide to Anub'arak, accept with actual starting items and the occasional wards.
1
[-]
Mirror (22) | February 21, 2013 12:13pm
I finally see a Nyx guild without Dagon! Nothing ageist player that get Dagon (xCO2) but the times I see Dagon in competitive is nothing when compared to when the get support items. My view of the competitive scene in probably limited however since I mostly watch the Chinese teams.

I love your competitive guilds and I hope to see more +1
1
[-]
xCO2 (72) | February 21, 2013 11:45am
Right off the bat...where's Dagon? I love running Nyx in the Tri-lane and Dagon is pretty easy to acquire in a kill lane like that. Also, if you opt out for Ghost Scepter why not add Ethereal Blade to Luxury?

Other than that, I feel I don't need to discuss the guide itself, I feel the same about all your guides.
+1

Edit: First paragraph of Vendetta, I believe you wrote Tread instead of Treat.
Similar Guides
Featured Heroes

Quick Comment (18) View Comments

You need to log in before commenting.