A Huskar guide on how to counter ALL Heroes (7.05)

April 23, 2017 by DerrickZoolander

ChiChi (43) | April 21, 2017 8:29am
Good job keeping your guide up-to-date and incentivating healthy discussions! We should follow more your example :) (arrrrg updating guides aaaarg)
DerrickZoolander (4) | April 23, 2017 2:05am
Thanks, I appreciate the gratitude. It is not easy especially with a large guide.
Masked_Man98 (10) | April 14, 2017 11:48am
Why +500 Life Break cast range? I don't get it +100 attack range is much more viable.
DerrickZoolander (4) | April 21, 2017 2:42am
Unlike most ranged heroes Huskar is an in your face fighter like melees. I would recommend getting the attack range when you are playing against heroes that want you close such as Troll Warlord Ursa and Axe. Otherwise the extra 500 range on Life Break allows you to initiate from farther preventing escape. Huskar lacks one thing more than anything else and that is mobility. Also Dotabuff shows a slight increased winrate with it https://www.dotabuff.com/heroes/huskar/builds. Hope that answers your question!
DerrickZoolander (4) | April 21, 2017 2:58am
I took a look at your explanation on your guide of why to get the attack range over the Life Break range. They are both good skills. And getting the Life Break range can have some draw backs. The animation is not very fast, so an enemy can blink you into a trap or be prepared to use their Blade Mail. I believe the skill build on this is situational, but I prefer the extra cast range since Life Break applies a slow that will allow the rest of my attacks to hit. Good build btw. I like it.
Load more comments (1 more replies) →

Comment has been deleted

DerrickZoolander (4) | February 6, 2017 3:58pm
Yeah, it needs quite a bit updating, perhaps I will do it soon when I get accustomed to patch 7.00. I am going to take a look at yours now.
The 10th Doctor | August 4, 2016 6:56am
Thoughts on Dragon Lance?
DerrickZoolander (4) | August 25, 2016 5:19pm
Dragon Lance is a great item with its low price, extra range and great stats, I have been thinking about adding it in my guide next time I update it. It is however not an item that will benefit you when you are six slotted. I am trying to think of strategies where it would be the most useful such as having a fv on your team.
Hamra (1) | July 8, 2016 7:41pm
First of all, hats down! I've been following this guide for few weeks now, and I'm slamming crazy wins almost non-stop.
Today, was the first time I meet skywrath mage as huskar. And boy was he a pesky thing. You gave him a 5 rating, and said he's easy. Well, he's super easy in 1vs1 fights, but he's a nightmare in a team battle. He waits till everyone is bashing everyone, then silences me and immediately ults me. His ult is impossible to tank, and I can't lifebreak out of it since I'm silenced.
I know you're a BKB hater, but it seemed to be the only way out of his ults :/ Maybe keep a force staff on me?
DerrickZoolander (4) | July 30, 2016 6:57pm
I am glad you are having success. I updated the Skywrath Mage section because it was pretty slim. He can be a problem if he is able to kite you. I included using Lotus Orb to dispel and reflect his spells. You can always go BKB if necessary, I am a BKB hater on Huskar because his Magic resistance used to be so high that is was almost completely irrelevant. They lowered the magic resistance but increased his armor and attack speed.
soskiller | June 30, 2016 4:32am
i think this video will show you how to win an game will insane kills.
GoodBoy49 | January 27, 2016 10:14am
What a fantastic guide! So in depth, I learned a lot... Based on what you said I'm going to release a few video guides!
DerrickZoolander (4) | September 25, 2015 6:18pm

I tried your build and it helped out a lot, thanks for the the in depth information and hopefully you could make a build for troll warlord. You are awesome and you have made me get penta kills beyond belief. He is surely one of my favourite characters and forever will be. Thanks a lot.

I am glad I could help you. I was a passive reader on DotaFire for a long time and many of these guides helped me with my all Hero challenges. It was my time to give back to the community. It really makes me happy knowing that its being useful. Thank you for the +1

I am actually not a great Troll Warlord player. To be honest, all the carries I am good with are ones that I can play without a BKB, ( Storm Spirit Medusa Weaver Spectre Heroes such as Troll and Phantom Assassin where BKB is mandatory I become just an average unremarkable player. I don't feel like I can give adequate advice on heroes, I have yet to master.
Maximus Decimus Meridius (1) | September 23, 2015 12:24am
DerrickZoolander (4) | September 10, 2015 8:38am
@debris

You are right about vlads, I forgot it gave that much armor. I suppose it actually wouldn't be a bad build to try. You are trading tankiness for damage output, but I suppose it could work in some situations. Guadian Greaves are the best boots for Huskar, but I have never bought them since they are so expensive.

Yes that build is pretty crazy, but you reminded me of it when you mentioned Veil.

I personally have not tried a support Huskar, I think there are better ones out there, but I think what you are trying to do is take a support/tank/gank role, Similar to a pudge, which given the right team you are up against could work. I would like to see one of your games sometime just to see how manage yourself.
Debrous | September 10, 2015 7:04am

I have not tried any builds like that before, yet I suppose if you needed Huskar to be more in a support role that could work, but I do not have the experience of playing Huskar this way. Has it been successful for you?

Tried it a few times, maybe once in a pub and the rest in 5v5 games with my friends. I played it mostly as a solo offlane, rushing Tranquil Boots and putting 1 point in Inner Vitality to be able to stay in lane, and after that just go wherever you're needed or you have an opportunity for a kill.

I have thought about how Vladmir's Offering now works with Huskar, but even if it applied the 15% lifesteal to ranged allies, it doesn't give you the armor and health regen you need. Desolator will improve your damage and lifesteal, and if you combined that with Phase Boots, you could do quite a bit of physical damage. I have seen some guides that completely skip Huskar's Burning Spear favoring physical damage and stats over the magic damage, it messes with your mid-game but is a build that is relevant.

Vlad's and Helm both give 5 armor and 3 hp/s, but Vlads gives 10% lifesteal whereas Helm gives 15%. The mana regen is nice with Vlads because of your low manapool and intel which, means raw manaregen is worth it.
The point of getting raw damage like Desolator is to boost up the DPS, since Huskar have so much Attack Speed with his passive. You could get Daedalus (but the crit is worthless on huskar) or Monkey King Bar, but Deso is much cheaper now with the 300g recipe.
You don't skip Burning Spears since it is no longer an attack modifier, it's too good of a skill for early-mid game dominance.
I usually go for this build when I'm not the primary carry, picking Vlads to give him lifesteal and 15% bonus damage, and Deso to reduce armor.

Maybe you're skeptical, but you should try it once, for fun, and prepare to be flamed :) But it works

If you want to try an alternate build on Huskar, one that is different from his normal one, or perhaps you want to help support a high magic damage carry such as Leshrac, this build could be fun, yet is not quite suggested for ranked maches.
Veil of Discord
Aghanim's Scepter
Ethereal Blade
Blink Dagger

I personally really don't like that build, I tried it a few times but I think it's a waste of his potential. You need a lot of farm to be able to perform the combo by yourself and you're not even OSing the guy... Even as a support huskar you have a bigger impact, and far sooner.
DerrickZoolander (4) | September 9, 2015 5:30pm
@ Mr Locket,

I agree, and I never meant for it to turn into an argument. You did make me do a lot more research on the debate and I have told you my side of it. I think Heart would be a decent item against a heavy nuke/pure damage line up, but should not be core and very situational at best, which is what I labelled it as.

@ Alzhein

Thank you very much for your support. This is my first guide that I have written, though I have been toying with the idea for quite a while. It feels great to have approval for others and makes me think that a lot of the research and work I put into this is paying off. I remember when I first started playing Huskar, how reckless I was because one match you will be unkillable and another match you will be the biggest feeder. Its good to know who Huskar can and cannot take on directly and how to approach those that may prove to be difficult. As for your request on gameplay, unfortunately I am having some computer issues (alienware) and plan on just getting a different gaming laptop. But I have this gameplay of a great player playing Huskar against a team that isn't the best team for Huskar to go against. Bounty Hunter, Windranger, Lina, and a Slardar.

He plays very similar to me, we just build things in a different order. He also plays very aggressively, which I don't recommend until you are more experienced. Also I want you to take a look at how he Dispels Amplify Damage and Track when he uses Life Break

It's not common knowledge to know that Life Break is a great 12 second Dispel

@ R-Conqueror

I have been given some grief on my anti-bkb build of Huskar, so I think I am going to throw some more situations when it will be needed, but from my experience, I have rarely ever needed one and only have bought one when faced with heavy disables or a fed Outworld Devourer. I have never bought one for a Timbersaw and I think its because even though he does a ton of pure damage, Huskar is usually able to lifesteal and regen enough health to tank a lot of it. A Huskar with 100 strength (not uncommon at 25) can tank one Chakram using just his Inner Vitality

Inner Vitality Heals 100(str) x 12.8 + 160 = 1440 HP over 16 seconds (Cooldown is only 10)

But Chakram does 100 pure damage! 100 x 16 = 1600 HP over 16 seconds

Well we also need to add the natural health regen Huskar will have. 100 Strength x 0.03 + 0.25 (basic regen for most heroes) + 7 hp/sec from Armlet of Mordiggian and 3hp/sec from Helm of the Dominator = 13.25hp/sec regeneration 13.25 x 16 seconds = 212 HP/sec and that makes a total of 1652 Health Regeneration over 16 seconds!

So therefore not taking account any other sources of damage, Huskar can tank a Chakram indefinitely as long as he has mana without using lifesteal.

But this is all math to prove how tanky he is. A BKB would not be a bad investment against a Timbersaw since you have other sources of damage and disables coming at you not to mention if the Timbersaw has an Aghanim's Scepter he will be able to double the damage output. I personally would prefer to tank it so I can use my money for different items and Life Break out of the Chakram, but I will add a BKB as a good counter for Timbersaw

I just reread your message and kind of realized I got so caught up on Huskar vs Timbersaw

In my guide, I recommend getting items to help you tank those disables such as Satanic, Eye of Skadi, and Assault Cuirass vice getting a Black King Bar or Heart of Tarrasque

Hope that helps, and thanks for your input!