Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Locked out of the Meta: Luna

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Locked out of the Meta: Luna 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » January 26, 2015 10:23am | Report
Luna seems to have become an extremely rare pick. I'm not entirely sure of it, but I think it is because she struggles against heroes who are more mobile than her which are heroes that happen to be popular right now such as Ember and Slark. She is also super squishy for her short attack range, unlike Morphling. She seems to only shine in big teamfights and base breaking with her glaives. Perhaps in the current meta she just doesn't carry hard enough unless it's a teamfight due to her hybrid nuker carry skillset like Gyro, though unlike Gyro she has no real role flexibility and much weaker crowd control.

Unlike the last 2 editions, I don't have any proposed buffs I'm confident in to make this hero more viable. I guess if we're gonna start, rescale the glaives from the extremely awkward 1/2/3/6 bounces to 3/4/5/6.

What do you think about Luna?

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » January 26, 2015 11:32am | Report
I think the "locked out of the meta" series all comes down to the same problem.

Instead of buffing all heroes who don't deal well with Slarks and Imba spirits, why not nerf Slark and Imba spirits in the first place?

Traditionally the standard way to counter high mobility heroes is to group up and push their base. Since pushing has been nerfed logically mobility heroes need heavy nerfs as a consequence. Buff orchid, give cast times and cooldowns to mobility spells, etc.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Seagull » January 26, 2015 11:37am | Report
I think it's her weird peaking, she is so strong at lvl 7, then she gets weak again as she's so squishy and her nukes drop off. Then she gets strong again once she gets items. She's just hard to fit in a team because of this. The BKB change also restricts her fighting ability by a lot.

Seagull

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (9)
Steam: HAEÆ
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » January 26, 2015 12:09pm | Report
Buff her strength gain and give her some neat little bonuses, like -10 sec cd on ult or something, and she will be fine. Her main problem is that she:

a)can't deal damage without exposing herself
b)minding that, doesn't have any escape mechanism and is squishy as hell

thus, she can only win due to overfarm. But if Anti-Mage is at least quite hard to gank, for Luna they have traded escapes it for "early agression and pushing"... yeah, utilise a tactic that is one of the worst in Dota now using squishy melee hero without escapes nice job Volvo.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by R-Conqueror » January 26, 2015 12:12pm | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Instead of buffing all heroes who don't deal well with Slarks and Imba spirits, why not nerf Slark and Imba spirits in the first place?

Traditionally the standard way to counter high mobility heroes is to group up and push their base. Since pushing has been nerfed logically mobility heroes need heavy nerfs as a consequence. Buff orchid, give cast times and cooldowns to mobility spells, etc.

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH. YES EXACTLY SPOT ON GOOD ONE THANK YOU.
I've always had a problem with Slark, as you guys may remember :P, but you have articulated my thoughts exquisitely. +Rep
I got to Notable, Thanks!
Check out my carrying guide: http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/alchemist-shrugged-a-carrying-guide-8022

R-Conqueror

Remarkable (24)
Steam: R-Conqueror
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » January 26, 2015 1:44pm | Report
There's no point in buffing the hero. Luna is fine as she is. The only thing she needs is a better Aghanim's Scepter upgrade.
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please PM me if you spot anything missing or outdated in the data base

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Steam: F.E.A.R.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » January 26, 2015 2:16pm | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

<- This. Funny, I nearly posted the same thing up earlier. You have to be very careful about buffing up these already pretty strong heroes when it's the meta that's changed rather than them. Think about the likes of poor Leshrac?

But yeah, very mobile heroes in the hands of good players are probably over-strong atm, with good counters they can be difficult to stop...even with counters, when they have equipment they are very hard to stop. I'd look first at throwing some nerfs rather than buffs - the likes of DK/LS/Luna didn't become bad heroes overnight.

Scaling lash time on Slark, longer cast animations on Ember Spirit...much easier than trying to over buff others to balance them out.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by R-Conqueror » January 26, 2015 2:19pm | Report
I hope Icefrog reads that Sando haha scaling leash time and longer cast animations on ember really does fix a lot.
I got to Notable, Thanks!
Check out my carrying guide: http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/alchemist-shrugged-a-carrying-guide-8022

R-Conqueror

Remarkable (24)
Steam: R-Conqueror
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ThePipersSon » January 26, 2015 4:19pm | Report
Fear is also right that well Luna is not a bad hero she needs a better agh. But we have to rember that it's ok for heros to fall out of the meta its part of how DOTA works she does not suit this meta and hence she does not get much play at higher levels. Doesn't mean that she's a bad hero.

ThePipersSon

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fumbles16x » January 28, 2015 1:05pm | Report
Play Luna
Max glaives and damage
Take stats
Only take nukes when you think you're about to start fighting with your team
Be two items ahead of everyone else
Win game

Fumbles16x

Notable (4)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved