Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The difference in picks across the world

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » News » The difference in picks across the world 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Alan LaFleur » June 5, 2014 1:48pm | Report
The International qualifiers have come and gone. We now know who will be in Seattle and who will not. However, I wanted to see how the regions viewed the game through the heroes they consider strong. I think this data still says a lot about playstyles even though it is a couple of weeks old and a small patch came out which changed a couple heroes that had strong performances in the qualifiers.

Key takeaways

• Topping the picked or banned column in every region, Batrider is considered strong by everyone.
  • The Americas are the only region where Ancient Apparition isn't in the top 10 picked. Despite being picked a lot by other regions, AA doesn't hit the board for win percentage in any region.
  • Europe banning IO in 74% of games shows that teams are much more scared of that hero than any other region.
  • Mirana was a huge pick for both the Americas and Europe but she barely hit the top 10 in China and is missing in Southeast Asia.
  • The Americas love Shadow Fiend and for good reason, the hero had a 72% win percentage over 17 games in the qualifiers. Shadow Fiend didn't see much play in other regions.
  • While Disruptor isn't all that common of a pick in the eastern regions, he did hit the top 10 win percentage in Southeast Asia.
  • Shadow Demon saw a lot of play time in North America and Europe mostly because of Mirana's prominence. However, he was the 2nd most picked hero in Southeast Asia without Mirana being picked nearly as much.

Americas

Europe

China

Southeast Asia

What do you think about the picks and bans? What does the data show you about how the regions see the game?

Alan LaFleur

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » June 5, 2014 4:05pm | Report
Really nice article. For me the most common pick across regions seemed to be Treant Protector - Living Armor anyone? Wasn't banned much either. Also interesting to see Lich with such a high win %.

The cross region thing must be to do with playstyle/meta, certain heroes fit better?
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » June 5, 2014 4:14pm | Report
I don't know... but I didn't see that many Viper's last year...

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ashwinthegrim » June 5, 2014 6:44pm | Report
TheSofa wrote:

I don't know... but I didn't see that many Viper's last year...

There really were a lot of Viper games during the qualifiers.. Frankly, I'm happy to see the emergence of Viper in competitive, since he is one of my favorite characters.

ashwinthegrim

Notable (7)
Steam: Grim
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JasChe_XXIV » June 6, 2014 12:49am | Report
Just goes to show... that I was right in picking Batrider as a fave!!! lol
There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity, I have come to erase that fine line.

Care to check out my guide? Click on the picture below!

Still a bit wonky and nooby but meh, give me a challenge and I'll accept it!

JasChe_XXIV

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FleetAU » June 6, 2014 12:59am | Report
I would have expected more heroes like invoker and meepo popping up in chinese qualifiers as they do seem to really like complicated heroes, asains be nimble, asians be quick
Do as I say, not what I do

FleetAU

Notable (16)
Steam: Fleet™
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » June 6, 2014 1:09am | Report
Weaver has a good winrate in these tournaments, hooray!

Also, can't believe Kotl got the highest winrate in 'murica, and Batrider completely wrecked Europe with his 91% winrate haha.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » June 6, 2014 2:15am | Report
Great article and images there Alan, impressive!
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » June 6, 2014 5:38am | Report

There really were a lot of Viper games during the qualifiers.. Frankly, I'm happy to see the emergence of Viper in competitive, since he is one of my favorite characters.

He deserves it! He can go Safe Lane, Mid or even Aggressive Tri-Lane and dominate, he is pretty Tanky and can be effective even against Black King Bar builders and while there are quite a few Items that are generally great on him, i.e. Aghanim's Scepter, Mekansm, Black King Bar, etc., he can build pretty flexibly and be useful in most Lineups. <}3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Alan LaFleur » June 6, 2014 10:55am | Report
Thanks Hades!

Every time I see Viper at the top of the Chinese win % I think about Merlini's saying about him, "Win lane, lose game"...guess that isn't necessarily true anymore.

Alan LaFleur

Notable (2)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved