Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Guide Spotlight - How to Improve your Play

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » News » Guide Spotlight - How to Improve your Play 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » July 2, 2014 10:36am | Report

Hello everyone!

In this post I'm going to highlighting Sando's guide, How to Improve your Play, showing you why it's a great guide that's worth checking out.
  • Firstly, this guide will show you how important your mentality is towards the game, how to learn efficiently and quickly while focusing on both mental aspects and game aspects in the same time.

• Secondly, the guide is nicely formatted, in-depth explanations joined by examples and famous quotes from various famous personalities and situations, in order to emphasize the importance and meaning of the subject, while also motivating you.

• Lastly, our veteran Sando has a vast DotA 2 knowledge and always spends tremendous amounts of effort and time in creating the best guides with high quality content for our dear community, so he deserves to receive our attention and appreciation!
I'll give you a few examples of this wonderful writing of Sando's for us, once you're done checking them out, visit the full guide right here!

Sando wrote:
If you want to get better at anything, the best place to start is "learning to learn". This is about helping yourself to acquire new skills quickly and avoid falling in to traps that will slow you down in the long run.

As we all know, practice and experience are essential to getting better at something. However, what many people don't realise is that you have to practice doing something CORRECTLY in order to get better at it.

Well said! Wise words from Mr. Sando.

Here is some more great advice from Sando:
  • Break your overall goal down into manageable stages - getting to 2.5k, getting to 3k, etc. That way you develop a positive feedback loop where achieving your smaller goals encourages you to keep striving for your ultimate one.

• I think most people have roles that they naturally gravitate towards - aggressive players generally like gankers, defensive players like supports and offlaners, carries suit people who are motivated by scores etc. There's no right and wrong answers, try and find a role or two that suits you best, and that you enjoy.

• The biggest single mistake I see in DOTA (and probably also the most common one) is people who don't play for the team. Sometimes these players are good enough to get away with it, or players on both sides are doing it anyway.

• Hero knowledge isn't necessarily having every detail at your finger tips, it's more having a general feel for their playstyle, role and abilities. Are they a nuker? Can they go invisible? Do they have an escape? What's their main damage type.

• Guides are generally a good place to talk about the more "theoretical" stuff - builds, items, combo damages etc, as it suits the written medium. Skill stuff tends to come across better by actually playing, or watching videos.

• Improving your reflexes is difficult, and younger people have an advantage over older ones here. Practice and being prepared help more than anything else though - even simple tips like having your mouse cursor near the parts of the screen where you expect something to happen, having your fingers ready on the right buttons.

Remember to read the full guide on improving your play!

In addition;

Sando prepared a cool quiz for you at the end of the guide, make sure to check it out, it's a long but well worth and good read, show him your appreciation by rating and sharing his guide, or by commenting here and thanking him for his work!
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ab4ddon._.E43 » July 3, 2014 7:21am | Report
Bringing you a free ad for the celebrity of the site, Hades4u entertainment.

Jokes aside in all seriousness this is a great read for new and old players alike. I highly recommend his guides.
I am the Abaddon *****!!!

Ab4ddon._.E43

Notable (12)
Steam: Ab4ddon._.E43
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 3, 2014 8:10am | Report
Yeah... If I could, I would give a link to all 56 of his guides. Great job, Sando!

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 3, 2014 8:33am | Report
Ok: Who here wants Sando to be promoted? I mean Sando looks much more fitting than Sando, don't you thing?

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » July 3, 2014 8:37am | Report
TheSofa wrote:

Ok: Who here wants Sando to be promoted? I mean Sando looks much more fitting than Sando, don't you thing?

We have enough moderators for now, no need more promotions.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » July 3, 2014 8:48am | Report
Thanks for all your kind words guys <3

(even if the highlight does make me cringe slightly at my occasionally clunky grammer and lack of spell checking :))

And as Hades says, we already have some excellent moderators, and dealing with all the day to day stuff those guys do behind the scenes would mean I had less time to write. Wulfy, XC02 and Hades4u do a lot of unseen and unappreciated work that keep DOTAFIRE such a nice place to be.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Illumination0110 » July 3, 2014 9:43am | Report
One of my go-to guide to read everytime. Yes it's easy to read and know what to do, but to execute it right in-game is still so hard. Shoutout to Sando again ! Amazing guide :D

Illumination0110

Notable (2)
Steam: Nations.Anarchy^
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » July 3, 2014 9:52am | Report
Sando wrote:

Wulfy

Awww <3 (Sando, you're the only one allowed to call me so)

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » July 3, 2014 11:31am | Report
TheSofa wrote:

Hades4u wrote:

We have enough moderators for now, no need more promotions.

The people have spoken! GIFF NU MOD!!! That's all the reason you need! >8{D

Wulfy-kins was not enough! 8{3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sulaxrox » July 3, 2014 3:57pm | Report
Thanks for highlighting this one, phenomenal guide.
Step 1: Pick Bristleback
Step 2: type in all chat:"GL hf"
Step 3: solo offlane
Step 4: first blood triple kill solo vs trilane
Step 5: continue head butting keyboard
Step 6: don't care, Bristleback doesn't give a ****
Step 7: screenshot repeated: BB OP comments in all chat
Step 8: alternate games with Slark pick

sulaxrox

Notable (6)
Steam: sulaxrox

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved