Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

DoTA 2 Blog November - 8 - 2013

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » News » DoTA 2 Blog November - 8 - 2013 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » November 8, 2013 9:00pm | Report

Valve Post

Not My Best Work!

November 8, 2013 - Dota Team

Whenever we make a significant mistake, we spend a bunch of time looking at what happened, why it happened, and how we can fix it. Most of the time we do this privately, but in our recent mistake around Diretide, we felt sharing our analysis with you made sense.

First, what happened – we didn’t ship a Diretide event this year, and you were rightly upset about it. That was clearly a mistake, and then we compounded the problem by not telling you what was going on.

So, why didn’t we ship Diretide?

> We have a huge update in the works that looked like it would be finished in time for Halloween. Stopping that update to work on Diretide seemed like something you would actually be unhappy with us for, because the update is pretty significant. More on that later.

> Turning on last year’s Diretide event wasn’t trivial. We’d done a year of work on the game which had changed our codebase, UI, and other systems enough that we would need to do some work to resurrect it.

> We underestimated how much you wanted Diretide.

> We made the decision a while ago, and failed to employ our usual process of regularly asking ourselves whether we were still on the right track. There were a bunch of people on the Dota 2 team who poked at the decision to not do it as Halloween approached, but due to how busy everyone was with our next major update, no-one really took the time to step back and objectively realise we were being collectively crazy.

Due to our poor prediction of your reaction, and the team being focused on the next update, we didn’t spend enough time thinking about talking to you about our decision. As a result, by the time we’d realized we’d made a bad decision, the pitchforks were out.

Then, why didn’t we communicate with you what was going on?

> You were already mad and disappointed in the lack of Diretide. Telling you that you weren’t getting it at all wouldn’t have really helped much. Now we started thinking in terms not of “what should we say?”, but in terms of “what should we do?”

> We were, and still are, confident that you’ll be happy when you see what’s in the next update (which isn’t far away now).

Now, what is the fix?

First, we’re going to ship Diretide with the next update. The rest of the update we’ve been working on is in final testing, and as each of us finish up our work on it, we’ve been jumping over to Diretide. Second, we’re pretty sure the update that we’ve been working on for a couple of months is going to be pretty significant. In addition, we’ve made a few changes to Diretide that we think makes it more fun than before. And while we always want the community to tell us exactly how we’re doing, this is probably a good time to stop cc’ing innocent car manufacturers with your messages.

Paying attention to what is happening in the community around Dota 2 is one of the most important aspects of what we do at Valve. And while we are clearly not mistake-proof, hopefully it is useful for us to walk everyone through our process for recognizing and then fixing our mistakes.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » November 8, 2013 9:07pm | Report
General Motors must have taken action.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by saifthedestroyer » November 9, 2013 12:26am | Report
though im happy with diretide i hope its not this hard to get it next year xD. im just kidding though he sort of gave a semi valid point as to why no Diretide so meh....
i rush mask of madness and basher on puck :3

saifthedestroyer
<Editor>

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by saifthedestroyer » November 9, 2013 12:42am | Report
http://steamcommunity.com/games/dota2/announcements/detail/1837761428200827886
if anyone wants the actual link for some reason here it is :)

saifthedestroyer
<Editor>

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » November 9, 2013 1:54am | Report
While the community had no right to rage over the lack of diretide, this would have been the only way to stop the "Give Diretide" spam.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by William » November 9, 2013 2:33am | Report
I think it's disgusting that they've given in, to be honest.

"Kick and scream, and we'll give you what you want regardless of our reasons."

William

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (7)
Steam: Bill
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mirror » November 9, 2013 9:40am | Report
The game is made for the players not the producers, I think in the future more companies are going to do stuff like this. Remember when they changed the loading sound? Valve changed it back because that is what the community wanted. That being said I am glad there will be no more "Volvo plz gif Diretide"
My lone druid starting items are 12 Iron wood branches, 6 for the hero and 6 for the bear. Even if the bear does not get stats more twigs are OP on any hero.

Mirror

Remarkable (22)
Steam: TC | Shooting Star
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » November 9, 2013 10:33am | Report

http://steamcommunity.com/games/dota2/announcements/detail/1837761428200827886
if anyone wants the actual link for some reason here it is :)

The official blog post is and always is linked on the very top of post.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » November 9, 2013 11:35am | Report
Before this announcement: "Valve sucks, it's one of the biggest companies and never listens to its fanbase!"
After this announcement: "I knew Valve always listened to its fanbase, best company ever!"

Seriously now, I've never doubted about a later update: be it Diretide or not, this game will always receive constant updates; the only thing that upset me was the lack of a justification, no "I'm sorry, no Diretide" messages, but it still wasn't very important for me. I also hope they fixed that troll Axe glitch in Diretide.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by saifthedestroyer » November 9, 2013 3:53pm | Report
sorry XCO2 :C

saifthedestroyer
<Editor>

Notable (6)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved