Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Behind the names!

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Matchmaking » Behind the names! 57 posts - page 3 of 6
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Safecyn » October 15, 2014 7:52pm | Report
I'll share, just for everyone who isn't privy! Plus I'll go into a little more detail.

I have a friend on Steam who's gone by the nickname 'Safechar' ever since he was playing Age of Empires 1. A few weeks after I started playing Dota, another friend of mine changed their name to 'Safebulb' to go along with it. When I started queueing with them in pubs, I figured I'd change my name to go along with it as well!

The obvious choice would have been 'Safesquirt' but... that... that name is just so unfortunate. So I went with a starter from gen 2, who just so happens to be my favorite Pokemon anyways, Cyndaquil! Which is why my icon on steam is a Cyndaquil.

Since then, it's become a pretty solid trend for our friends: we've got a Safekarp, a Safescythe sometimes, a Safeprime... we even actually had a Safesquirt at one point. XD I'm trying to get my girl to change her name to 'Safechik' (Chikorita!) but... no luck so far. :p

Safecyn
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Safecyn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » October 15, 2014 9:36pm | Report
I just love my IRL name and added some stuff after it.

if you want to know the real reason behind the choice I made

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
Steam: Cottontail Teemo
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by psithyrus » October 16, 2014 6:20am | Report
Nice thread!

This is my Steam name and it's the subgenus name for a really weird type of bumblebee, the cuckoo bumblebee. Cuckoo bumblebees invade regular bumblebee nests, kill the queen, and enslave the worker bees.

But I don't actually use this name in DotA 2 hahah -- I use the silliest/dirtiest names I can think of (some of my favorites being "The Golden ********", "Balls. It's what's for dinner", and "BEST NUT MILKER HANDS DOWN!!" ) to make my boyfriend laugh when we play.

From the nether reaches...huehuehue

psithyrus

Steam: The Frilly Panties in Your Mou
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Eightfold » October 16, 2014 6:56am | Report
Aiwendehks is a reference to a joke on another forum.

Only 2 people on my friends list understand the joke.
There's no earthy way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing, or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining, is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of Hell a-glowing? Is the grisly Reaper mowing?! YES! The danger must be growing! For the rowers keep on rowing! And there's certainly not showing ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING!

Hit that Rep button, you know you want to.

Eightfold

Notable (9)
Steam: Lord Indoril Nerevar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » October 16, 2014 1:46pm | Report
TheSofa wrote:

WOW! I like this!

A few more that I have in mind: Sando, Xyrus, and Yzreel.

Hmm... Bunkansee. How on EARTH would your 9-year old sis come up with that?! xD

Dunno she was pretty good at coming up with bizarre yet cool names, her one she made up for herself was "Monjery" or something.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » October 16, 2014 4:32pm | Report
Safecyn wrote:

I'll share, just for everyone who isn't privy! Plus I'll go into a little more detail.

I have a friend on Steam who's gone by the nickname 'Safechar' ever since he was playing Age of Empires 1. A few weeks after I started playing Dota, another friend of mine changed their name to 'Safebulb' to go along with it. When I started queueing with them in pubs, I figured I'd change my name to go along with it as well!

The obvious choice would have been 'Safesquirt' but... that... that name is just so unfortunate. So I went with a starter from gen 2, who just so happens to be my favorite Pokemon anyways, Cyndaquil! Which is why my icon on steam is a Cyndaquil.

Since then, it's become a pretty solid trend for our friends: we've got a Safekarp, a Safescythe sometimes, a Safeprime... we even actually had a Safesquirt at one point. XD I'm trying to get my girl to change her name to 'Safechik' (Chikorita!) but... no luck so far. :p

Safedile?
I though Safechic would be torchic.

xD

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » October 17, 2014 9:42am | Report
Nothing special with me.

I was thinking of a cool/adventurous word

Previous names:
Soulbane
Anciente
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CapnDaft » October 17, 2014 10:50pm | Report
BKvoiceover wrote:

Mine is pretty simple. BK stands for my initials, and I put in VoiceOver because I do a lot of stuff with my voice. I am a singer, I do impressions and accents for fun and for work, I am an announcer and caster for my school's gaming club, and much more. Pretty simple, but it has stuck with me over the years.

I actually think it sounds great!
Spoiler: Click to view

CapnDaft

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (8)
Steam: Captain Daft
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BKvoiceover » October 19, 2014 7:41pm | Report
CapnDaft wrote:

I actually think it sounds great!

Thx Daft (can I call you daft?), yours is pretty cool as well. Always liked Daft Punk :)

See you on the battlefield,

-BK

BKvoiceover

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: BKvoiceoverGames
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » October 20, 2014 3:10am | Report
korean doto is the best doto.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved