Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

A few nooby questions from a noob xD

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » A few nooby questions from a noob xD 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by thatguy577 » October 19, 2014 9:50am | Report
Just a few things I want to ask from my experience of dota over the past few days.

At the beginning of my time here, I was awful, but I was told everyone started awful so I kept playing. I was averaging about 4kills-8deaths xD but then, rather than just picking a different hero everytime, I picked ursa over and over for about 6 games now, and I am doing pretty well with it, my last match was 12-2 and my best was 24-4, but is this just ursa being OP, or me improving with ursa? and seeing as I like the playstyle of ursa is there any related hero I should also try and improve on?

Also, I have gotten a few of my level-up gifts, and I was wondering if the hero specific weapons I get from this can be bought in any way or is it just RNG?

Thanks for reading :)

thatguy577

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by vroomndie » October 19, 2014 11:06am | Report
i belive ursa is not op..its just that u need team work to counter him..nukers shut him down well...its hard to fight him with meele heros..but tanky heros with blade mail are good...eule septre easily ruin his gank chance..same for blink dagger shadow blade...the point being dont fight him alone

vroomndie

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by vroomndie » October 19, 2014 11:10am | Report
n yes u can buy a lot of hero bundles n items couriers from dota 2 store..also sell it on steam community market..trade/exchange items with friends...also check out dota2lounge.com...also dota2 store offers spotlight items everyday u can buy this item at 50 to 70 % less price

vroomndie

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerak Kyria » October 19, 2014 4:39pm | Report
The improvement in your games could be due to a couple of things;
1. Not many people can deal with ursa in low level pubs
2. Your getting better, well done.
3. The items you get from level-up gifts can be bought from the store if available, or the community market as stated before.
4. A hero similar to ursa could possibly be Troll Warlord in the sense that he has a slow, attack speed and pounds people 1 v 1.

And I do hope you continue to get better,
Your new diet for heroes; You will need 4 wards (cuz wards taste better), 1 set of tangoes, 1 mango, 1 cheese.
With this you can make a nice Tango Mango Cheese platter. You can wash this all down with a nice bottle of water, Can be flavoured with red, green, yellow, blue, purple AND GOLD!
Caution: Taking roshan 3 times is required.

Zerak Kyria

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » October 19, 2014 4:50pm | Report
Hi thatguy577

ill help you out.

on your first point the answer is simple on face value.

you do the same thing enough times you get real real good at doing that one thing.

the more complicated answer is:

assuming you have less then 100 games your going to be in a lower bracket where people of your skill will have trouble dealing with an Ursa hell even people in higher brackets have trouble dealing with an Ursa. but the fact remains as your skill level improves you will find it harder to play Ursa since people will start to develop the skill and knowledge to deal with you (itemisation/chaining/ positioning). im sure in one game soon you will get royally wrecked and wonder why!!.

when i first started i played Spirit Breaker non stop and i rektface. BUT eventually i was losing, because people realised how to deal with me.this will happen to you.

i suggest start trying out in bots a couple of other heroes so when you do lose you can swap out and use someone else (do this until you get a knowledge of all heroes and are able to counterpick and predict picks and or pick to a strategy).

similar to ursa (getting in thier face doing a large amount of dps quickly):

Spirit Breaker Clinkz these two do a lot of damage quickly.

and yea buy cosmetics in the dota2 store or on the market (its cheaper here)

GG HF

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by thatguy577 » October 20, 2014 12:41am | Report
Thanks for all the replies guys! Very helpful, as a few of you guys predicted I was forced to stop with ursa because I began to get ganked, nuked and stunned to death in all my games xD Today I'm gonna try testing heroes in bot matches as suggested :)
Also the links and tips about getting cosmetics were extremely helpful tyvm :)
Looking forward to improving my skills in Dota 2
Thanks for reading :)

thatguy577

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » October 20, 2014 1:05pm | Report
These carries that are good 1v1 are not that easy as you think, they usually have to adapt to the game via their item build, which is quite hard for a newcomer.

Basically, you pick items based on who you are up against. (with a couple that are core like Blink Dagger on Ursa for example).

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sgt. Jimmy Rustles » October 20, 2014 2:09pm | Report
Ursa is basically special in that he can do a lot of damage, REALLY QUICK, and it's all base auto-attack damage. He's also unique in that he can solo Roshan at low levels provided you have Vladimir's Aura.

Sniper is a pubstomper, but he needs farm. Same with BloodSeeker (at least the old one).

And really, bot matches are the best for trying new heroes. There's nothing I hate more than a person who is trying a hero for the first time in a Public Match.

Sgt. Jimmy Rustles

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CapnDaft » October 20, 2014 6:36pm | Report
There's nothing I hate more than a person who is trying a hero for the first time in a Public Match.

I don't agree with that, I think least played is THE place to learn, but y'know, all pick is really not the place to start new heroes
Spoiler: Click to view

CapnDaft

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (8)
Steam: Captain Daft
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » October 20, 2014 7:52pm | Report
CapnDaft wrote:

I don't agree with that, I think least played is THE place to learn, but y'know, all pick is really not the place to start new heroes

Least Played and Bot Matches are both good places to learn, especially if you're in a 5-stack that can help you learn while making it fun <}3

1 vs 1 Solo Mid Lobbies are a great place to learn how to Lane with a Hero as well.
thatguy577 wrote:

my last match was 12-2 and my best was 24-4, but is this just ursa being OP, or me improving with ursa?

Ursa is by no means OP, as already discuessed, and just having a high KDA is meaningless tbh.

Did you Farm well? If you Laned and maanged to get 3 out of 4 Creeps in the Creep Wave until you Farmed your Blink Dagger, then that's pretty good, anything less and you need to practise Last Hitting. If you Jungled...then your Farm was mediocre at best.

In Teamfights, were you Killing people because you maneuvered yourself in a way that they couldn't avoid or escape from you? or was it because Shadow Shaman got into Position and held them down while you smacked away? It's fine to rely on others for Initiation, but you have to ask yourself if it's you who is being effective, or whether your Teammates are the ones making the important plays. It's not bad if they are, but noticing when someone on your Team is being the most effective makes it easier to learn from them and improve your own gameplay
thatguy577 wrote:

and seeing as I like the playstyle of ursa is there any related hero I should also try and improve on?

It depends, do you like Ursa because he can get in people's faces? Then try Bristleback, Tidehunter, Axe, Wraith King and Centaur Warrunner . If you're feeling brave, you can even try someone harder like Clockwerk, he's amazingly fun, but using his Skills effectively can be difficult.

Do you like being able to Blink Dagger in on people and WRECK them? Phantom Assassin, [Skywrath Mage]], Slardar, Juggernaut, Gyrocopter and Legion Commander are all good (just promise to play Legion Commader Mid and not Jungle, it makes me cry every time Tresdin is played badly T-T )

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved