Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Wannabee Mid Heroes?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Wannabee Mid Heroes? 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » December 17, 2014 5:25pm | Report
Not all heroes are created equal, some like Broodmother or Batrider are capable of dominating a lane, whereas others like Spectre and Bloodseeker have next to no lane presence. So, it is inevitable that you will sometimes see heroes in the mid-lane that will leave you scratching your head and the only reason they seem to be in that lane is because they spammed "mid or feed" in chat.

Such heroes that I've seen in the mid-lane that I believe have no business being there include but are not limited to: Pudge, Sniper (the long range creep), and Bloodseeker. I for one, never really understood why these sorts of heroes almost always goes mid; when they have no harass capabilities, counter-push or rune control. But the discussion I seek to open up to you is this: What is the most common hero that you've seen mid that had no business laning mid and why do you think heroes like Pudge and co. go mid 99.9% of the time?

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » December 17, 2014 5:56pm | Report
I think the other part about the mid-lane is it's a place of solo expierence, without death being extremely likely like it would be for an offlaner.

For heroes like Pudge especially, who want levels much more than they want gold. Even if they are exceptionally weak laners, they still get what they want, and then apply it around the map.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » December 17, 2014 5:57pm | Report
Pudge just sat there for levels

Actually sniper is good mid if using the shrapnel build.

Bloodseekr... Dunno yes he has no lane presence bsides his bloodrage and i think blood rite is better at a tri/dual lane because it needs set up.

Bs should just go jungle or offlane and gank constantly.
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » December 17, 2014 6:41pm | Report
Sanvitch wrote:

I think the other part about the mid-lane is it's a place of solo expierence, without death being extremely likely like it would be for an offlaner.

For heroes like Pudge especially, who want levels much more than they want gold. Even if they are exceptionally weak laners, they still get what they want, and then apply it around the map.

The problem is that they don't contest the lane. If Pudge is laned against, let just say someone like Morphling, Invoker or any other mid carry, and he leaves the lane around level 5 or 6, that is going to provide said carry an opportunity to get a fair chunk of free farm and by extension, give him the ability to quickly get items like a Linken's Sphere or an Ethereal Blade or whatever you darned kids build on Morphling or Invoker these days. So the problem I have with heroes going mid to just to get quick levels is that it can end up backfiring on you if your opponent to chooses lane a carry mid who benefits not only from quick levels, but from free farm as well, which is basically every mid carry in the game, seriously, who doesn't benefit from free farm?

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » December 17, 2014 6:59pm | Report
Fedorable wrote:

The problem is that they don't contest the lane. If Pudge is laned against, let just say someone like Morphling, Invoker or any other mid carry, and he leaves the lane around level 5 or 6, that is going to provide said carry an opportunity to get a fair chunk of free farm and by extension, give him the ability to quickly get items like a Linken's Sphere or an Ethereal Blade or whatever you darned kids build on Morphling or Invoker these days. So the problem I have with heroes going mid to just to get quick levels is that it can end up backfiring on you if your opponent to chooses lane a carry mid who benefits not only from quick levels, but from free farm as well, which is basically every mid carry in the game, seriously, who doesn't benefit from free farm?

Actually, if the Pudge is at least half decent, he can easily rape the Invoker early on. Anyway, I get your point. However, remember that mid isn't always 1v1; in the pro scene, supports constantly roam and gank other lanes, so they could help Pudge take down the other mid hero. Example: Disruptor + Skywrath against Morphling, perhaps.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » December 17, 2014 8:47pm | Report
porygon361 wrote:

Actually, if the Pudge is at least half decent, he can easily rape the Invoker early on. Anyway, I get your point. However, remember that mid isn't always 1v1; in the pro scene, supports constantly roam and gank other lanes, so they could help Pudge take down the other mid hero. Example: Disruptor + Skywrath against Morphling, perhaps.

Actually, if the Invoker is half-way decent, he won't expose himself to Meat Hook so easily.

Also, don't forget, it's the Supports' job to Roam and Gank during the Early Game. Getting a Mid Hero whose sole priority is getting enough levels and a small amount of Farm, so they can roam during the nightime means, you're probably going to have a weaker Mid to Late game if you don't Snowball out of control.

This is the problem with Heroes like Pudge, Bloodseeker and Nightstalker, they don't benefit greatly from Farm, so they're a much riskier choice compared to stronger Mid-Game carries like Shadow Fiend, Invoker, Ember Spirit, etc.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » December 17, 2014 9:03pm | Report
Dammit Xyrus, you beat me to it :/ No way Pudge kills Invoker.

Yeah, the ganking mids (with the possible exception of QoP of Pain) are riskier picks because if they don't snowball you're in trouble. But then, I fully believe that the new Bloodseeker is a support, and that Pudge and Night Stalker are underpowered.

On a side note, what is your opinion on Silencer mid semicarry, going like Force Staff into Orchid?
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » December 18, 2014 5:20am | Report
Silencer is actually a pretty good mid imo. You dominate the lane by disarming the enemy mid constantly and draining their mana. With a fast lvl6 you can easily gank safelane carries that rely on their escape (Antimage, Queen of Pain) for safe farm. If the enemy carry has no escape it's even better, because you can smoke then disable the supports so you can kill the carry then pick off what's left. Since supports rely on their skills to save the carries they will be pretty useless with Global Silence active.
Like Stampede you don't even need to be on the lane to make a gank work. Farm midlane and let your trilane gank the enemy offlaner for an easy kill.

The problem is that Silencer is neither tanky nor does he have a aoe disable or escape so he is very weak to ganks. In pubs he's pretty viable, in competitive not so much. The danger of organized ganking supports is too big to ensure good farm for him. Maybe he could be run against specific tier2 teams mid, but he would still be a gamble.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CapnDaft » December 18, 2014 7:16am | Report
Bloodseeker is very very very very situational. He used to be a good counter to people like outworld devourer. But I dont know since the remake of him...
Spoiler: Click to view

CapnDaft

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (8)
Steam: Captain Daft
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » December 18, 2014 7:49am | Report
Terathiel wrote:

DBut then, I fully believe that the new Bloodseeker is a support, and that Pudge and Night Stalker are underpowered.

It's still hard to find a place for Bloodcyka imo, but new Pudge is definitely a Roamer now. No need to sit Mid for levels, just Pull Creeps (Safe Lane for Radiant, Mid Lane for Dire).

Nightstalker is still a little bit underpowered (reduce cooldown on Void by 1 second pls Icefrog T-T ), but the rework to Darkness at least means he gets to be more active during the 2nd and 3rd days, when he hits his peak. <}3

At the moment, these guys are outclassed as Mid Heroes by more Late Game oriented Snowballers, like Legion Commander and Ember Spirit.
Terathiel wrote:

On a side note, what is your opinion on Silencer mid semicarry, going like Force Staff into Orchid?

It can work, but he also happens to be better off as a Support imo. He benefits from Kills more than Farm and can make the Early Game hell for Heroes who already have low Mana Pools if he can be around when they die once or twice. He certainly hits harder in the Late Game with enough Kills, thanks to Glaives of Wisdom and 3 Agility gain per level, but he's not a major threat without his Ult.

I wouldn't get Orchid Malevolence as a 2nd Item...on any Hero...but there are a lot of good 1st Items he can use, e.g. Urn of Shadows, Force Staff and Eul's Scepter of Divinity are the best 1st Items to get on him imo. From there, you can usually just go Aghanim's Scepter into Refresher Orb.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved