Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Laning Discussion: Lich Offlane

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Laning Discussion: Lich Offlane 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by kkoopman3 » July 3, 2015 1:52pm | Report
Lich is a support hero, but he is also played sometimes as an offlaner. I personally never quite new why this was. Since I haven't done a laning discussion in several days, here's everyone's chance to figure it out. Here are my thoughts on it;
  • Lich is XP dependent, but not farm dependent, which makes a perfect candidate for offlaner.
  • Even though he isn't item dependent, he can still use gold to build very useful items, i.e. Mekansm or Aghanim's Scepter.
  • Lich possesses an ability which destroys his own creeps, helping him to stay back under or near his own tower, and denying gold and XP to the enemy carry.
  • Lich's Frost Armor paired with the slow from his Q helps him to stay alive if he is gone on or ganked.

This is just why I thought he might make a viable offlaner. I'm still not sure why you would choose him over another hero to put in that position though.

kkoopman3

Remarkable (28)
Steam: Ce.W1sd0m
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » July 3, 2015 2:07pm | Report
http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/forum/theorycrafting/solo-offlane-bane-lich-33560
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » July 3, 2015 2:41pm | Report
Just because a hero can survive the offlane doesnt mean he should.
Offlaners are more about what they do after the laning stage.

Still lich is always good in low mmr pubs.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by kkoopman3 » July 3, 2015 3:02pm | Report
You make a good point which I agree with Timm, but offlane Lich is used sometimes in high level play. I saw Admiral Bulldog play it at Faceit Proleague as well as synderen do it several times on stream. If "just cuz he can doesn't mean he should," then why is it done so often compared to other semi-viable offlaners?

kkoopman3

Remarkable (28)
Steam: Ce.W1sd0m
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » July 3, 2015 3:06pm | Report
What do you gain from solo off-laning him? What does he bring to your team?

Like, Lich is a hero about winning a lane. That is practically all he brings to a team by picking him, he denies exp and farm from one of your opponents lanes, and gives you a laning advatange as a result. Because outside of the laning stage he has a minor armour buff, some slows, and an unreliable team-fight ult.

He can't control the games tempo, he doesn't really scale with farm, he only scales to a certain extent with gold, and the hero drops off extremely hard to the point of being basically useless past like 40 minutes.

So sure, it's possible to solo offlane lich. It's not viable however. The only time I can see it being done as a solo offlaner, is if you've got an opposing safe laner whose very reliant on a specific timing for a given item, because he messes with that.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » July 3, 2015 3:13pm | Report
Ive also noticed that lich has completely disappeared from pro games now, and i also have the explenation for it. (atleast part of it)
Undying replaced him.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » July 3, 2015 6:38pm | Report
Sanvitch wrote:

What do you gain from solo off-laning him? What does he bring to your team?

He's guaranteed XP (you get it for snackrifice), he denies gold and xp, you can't solo against him with most heroes, so it can lock the supports in for many carries. He's actually pretty effective with levels and some farm - it's funny how much people under-estimate him as they're used to only seeing him support.

Sure, he's not a play-maker or an aura carrier, but he can play as an auxiliary support if you have a greedy #4 or #5.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved