Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How to Play Doom?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » How to Play Doom? 19 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blubbles » June 5, 2015 11:25pm | Report
There isnt a 2015 guide on here for Doom and I want to play him but I cant for some reason get any good results with him.

I need to know item and skill builds, and preferably playstyle. Even better: someone make a new guide for him.

-Blubbles
Mood of the Day

-_-

Blubbles

Notable (13)
Steam: Axolotl
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Playing with no Keyboard » June 5, 2015 11:40pm | Report
The good thing about Doom is that he is very flexible. He can solo offlane, jungle, and even sometimes safelane. Almost always max your Devour to increase your farm rate. Phase Boots Arcane Boots Drum of Endurance Blink Dagger Hand of Midas, and Vladmir's Offering are all viable options. (Midas to increase farm rate.) Mainly use your skills from Devour to gain skill from neutral creeps which benefit the situation of the game. Late game items can be followed up with Black King Bar. Refresher Orb, Shiva's Guard, Assault Cuirass, Aghanim's Scepter, Heaven's Halberd, and Mekansm

Overall, doom's ultimate the strongest spells in the game to disable a hero from a team fight and is mainly picked for this reason. However, he does have mana issues, armor issues, and a lack of burst damage

Playing with no Keyboard

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » June 6, 2015 12:11am | Report
You can build the hero's items anyway you want, but you usually go 4 in Devour, 1 in LV? Death and 4 in Scorched Earth by 11, with priority in Devour because you know, it's passively increasing your GPM, and lets you get ahead of the opposing hero who mirrors your position.

Arguably the most effective item build (Or at least most common) is Hand of Midas (Since you are level dependant, and you get gold faster than most heroes, so you almost always get a good timed one), into Blink Dagger/ Shadow Blade -> Ag's (Since the upgrade is too good to pass up) -> eventual refresher, or Octarine Core. The Ag's refresher is needed, because the purpose of the hero is to remove one or more enemy's from the fight to give you a huge advantage before a fight begins

Which leaves you room for other utility items, usually one of AC or Shiva's since you want the armour, an you are a good aura carrier, and then probably Sycthe or another good utility item for the situation.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by IgnoranceIsBliss » June 6, 2015 12:52am | Report
Doom is very versatile, can be built in anyway you want him to have, but here is what i prefer:
i get Devour in level 1 so that i can increase my gold income, get creeps that is best for the lane your in, getting harassed? get the Satyr Tormentor (or the one that has added hp regen skill) , going early kills? get the Alpha wolf (the one with critical strike and gives you plus damage aura, also if u get lucky you critic strike a hero and look at thier hp go) it also benefits you the most through mid and late game, i then take three points in Scorched Earth and one to Lvl? Death and get Doom in level 6, after that i max my Scorched Earth while putting 1 level of Lvl? Death after maxing Scorched Earth i max Devour for more gold, then max Lvl? Death but always keep Doom as your priority to max out.

My item build is:
Phase Boots > Vladmir's Offering > Maelstrom > Assault Cuirass > Black King Bar > upgrade Maelstrom to Mjollnir > Skull Basher > Heart of Tarrasque > upgrade Skull Basher to Abyssal Blade > sell Phase Boots to make Boots of Travel > sell Vladmir's Offering to buy Radiance

Honorary Mention: Blink Dagger with Centaur Conqueror's Hoof Stomp
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you can solve your problems, then what is the need of worrying?
If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?

Hero Ideas:
Daemon, The Headhunter
Nuegar, Mercenary of the Ruins
Dues, The Elemental Magus
Zermunt, The Plague Doctor
Alphyria, The Lady of the Skies

IgnoranceIsBliss

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » June 6, 2015 1:06am | Report
Doom's build varies based upon his farm priority.

If you're the #3 or #2 (ie offlane), you'll usually go utility Doom with Midas > Tranquils > Blink Swagger/Silver Edge > Aghanim's Scepter. After those, a common pickup is Shiva's Guard or Assault Cuirass. Lategame, grab a Refresher Orb.

If you are playing #1 carry Doom, similar idea to the build. Midas > Fazes > Silver Edge (this is a really, REALLY good item and eliminates your need for Aghs) > Assault Cuirass > Situational. Doom's +30% base damage aura's a decent steroid combined with his crit, so you'll want to pick up Heart at one point as it gives +52 damage rather than just +40 for most Heroes.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » June 6, 2015 1:33am | Report
Doom is probably the most late game oriented offlaner (Magnus and Void are pretty close), which is still his primary role and the only role he does without major problems.
He can be played as Safelane Carry, although he has low agi and his damage aura can be passed on. He can be played mid due to his high damage, but he can't gank as well as many other mids and is not good at controlling runes. You can also run him jungle, but he's one of the easiest jungle heroes to hassle.

From what I find, the strategy is simple, you usually are not as aggressive as other offlaners, due to your low armor, so tower diving is not something you want. You do some farming, but naturally, usually with a Midas, you get enough gold to buy your main items, which consists of Phase or Tranquils, depending on how much you need the armor, Aghs, since your mana pool is awful until you get lots of levels, Blink or possibly Silver Edge to get close, and then armor items. Unfortunately, it's not very flexible, but ever since normal doom got nerfed to not have break, its no longer worth it to skip it, and you still need armor on Doom.

After that, whatever you want, you can go refresher or other late game utility items like Halberd if there's a Dusa.

When offlaning, he benefits very much from CM aura, due to his low int, and also with the big satyr, for hp regen and an easy way to grab last hits. Mid game, speed aura and centaur are nice, but I usually pick up frost Ogre for 8 more armor, which makes you a lot tankier. Then late, usually wolf, sometimes I keep the armor if I really need it.

He's gotten more easily counterable, due to more early activity, since he can take a while to come online, and also with another item to counter in, in the form of Lotus Orb.

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Playing with no Keyboard » June 6, 2015 2:23am | Report
Fast Refresher Orb can always have a good impact on the game. It basically takes out two spellcasters out of the fight. Only problem is how long the Refresher Orb cooldown is

Playing with no Keyboard

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by apaz » June 6, 2015 3:14am | Report
The biggest thing that you have to know about doom is that although he gets very tanky later in the game, his starting HP isn't all that high, and his Armor sucks. To get tanky, you have to get levels and Armor items, like Shiva's Gaurd. also, the Aghanim's Scepter upgrade is really overpowered, and if you get a Refresher Orb, Dooming two people in a fight is really powerful. However, rush a Blink Dagger, perhaps after a Hand of Midas.

My newest guide:

Picking up Skywrath

apaz

Notable (17)
Steam: apaz
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » June 6, 2015 3:19am | Report
apaz wrote:

his starting HP isn't all that high

Wut.

You realise Doom has the second highest starting Strength in the game, and the third highest Strength growth?

26 + 3.2 is pretty crazy, even if his armour is pants.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » June 6, 2015 3:32am | Report
^^That triple post doe.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved